Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taught my 7 year old to MIG weld

Default Taught my 7 year old to MIG weld

I've got a bunch of backlog threads I need to post, but the other thread reminded me to post this one:

My 7 year old daughter loves being in the shop. Lately I've been doing a bunch of welding, and she really liked putting on a helmet and watching me. She kept bugging me to teach her how to weld.

I was taking a TIG class at the time, so I asked my instructor if it was safe/responsible to teach a youngster to weld. His answer was that as long as they're able and willing to listen and follow directions...

So I gave Bella a set of gloves, and started at a bench with her sitting between my legs, so I could guide her hand. She caught-on scary fast

This was her first weld. Wouldn't pass an AWS cert, but she cherishes the coupon as a prized possession

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

That is not a bad looking weld, she is going to be good at it in no time,
    I started my grandson on stick welding at 9 years old many years ago,
    in about a week he was welding as good as me Ha.Ha. I told him it was because my eye's was not as good as his, and now he does weld better than me, your a lucky guy to have a child that wants to be in the shop with you,
    all i got is jerry Lea,

Default Move over old man

Young eyes and good eye-hand coordination are hard to beat. Girls are generally much better and develop skills faster and better than boys if they are interested.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Those welds are great.

Based on the other thread I asked my soon to be 7 year old son if he wanted to learn to weld today since I have a project. He said "not yet", so I said "fine, let me know when you want to learn".

Thoose welds look better than the bubble gum I put down when I first learned.

I'm not normally given to spouting safety platitudes, but for daughters with long hair hanging around in the shop, I think it would be a good practice to develop in her/them, to tuck the hair up inside a cap or some such.

Chances of an accident are relatively slim, but you never know. And just like eye protection, it only takes minimal effort, especially after the habit is developed.

Looks like she has talent, but probably should have that hair under better control. I'd be afraid it would spill out into the field of fire if she bends over. My daughter has the same problem and got 4" whacked off yesterday because she wasn't paying attention eating pancakes and dragged her hair through the syrup. It would have washed out but it's been a recurring theme, so Mom made the executive decision. My kids love to help in the shop, but they're not too high on the noise from the machines or compressor. They'll grow out of that soon though, I hope. Congrats.

Congratulations to her and a big thank you for nurturing the future of our country when their minds are so impressionable and the world is so full of useless nonsense.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Good point on the hair guys -- I'll have her pull it back in a pony tail and put a do-rag on her next time (this afternoon, actually).

I asked my soon to be 7 year old son if he wanted to learn to weld today since I have a project. He said "not yet"
    I actually never broached the topic with Bella. She wanted to watch me weld, so I gave her a helmet. After she watched it a couple of times, she asked if she could try it.

You might just try putting a hood on him and let him see what he thinks...
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Chief, Jerry Lea is a nice looking ..er Dog. but You didn't say how long it took ya to teach Him to weld

Steve