Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel dressers for surface and bench grinders

Default Wheel dressers for surface and bench grinders

What are your preferences for a diamond dresser for surface grinder wheels? Simple block with a diamond point or something that can be extended vertically? Any particular design or model you prefer? What diamond size, length and shank diameter would you choose? (Note: radius grinding is not something I need in this case).

What about your favorite bench grinder wheel dresser? What do you like to use for an 8" one? I'm not too happy with the ones I use.

Thank you.

Diamonds, of course, in both cases. I became a huge fan of using diamond points on my bench grinders once I finally set one up and properly used it.

The star wheels and Norbide sticks aren't bad, but really, all they do is scrape off the top layer of dull grit, and maybe do some rough leveling out if you have some shallow grooving.

But a diamond, with a proper stop/guide, can true the wheel- as in remove the eccentricity/out-of-round of the stone.

This made a huge- pun intended- difference with my big 12" 2HP pedestal grinder with 2" wide rocks. Even at full speed, you can damn near balance a nickel on top of the motor case.

For the surface grinder, I've just been using the mounted diamond on a typical flat block, which generally works fine. But I'm rapidly coming 'round to the idea of one of those diamond holders with an adjustable height- I've had a few jobs where I had to crank the wheel down several inches to dress, then back up to the working surface.

Something that could be stuck down to the magnet, and then the arm with the diamond swung into and out of the way would be very handy at times.

For that matter, I also need a very low diamond for the same reason- grinding a .055" shim, crank the wheel up to dress it on a 2" tall diamond, then back down to the shim. A point on a 1/4" or even 1/2" tall plate would also be a time-saver.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

I have the star wheel dresser type tool. I like it and it works good for my 1" wide 10" stones. I always get one deep groove from sharpening tungsten all the time in one spot (no matter how hard I try to use the whole stone). The star tool takes any aluminum off the stone and flattens it out quite nice for me. Takes no time at all to take 1/8-1/4" off the stone if needed.
    Andy

Diamond for the surface and tool grinders. I haven't bothered with height adjustment, just s block with a round piece welded at an angle and set screw to hold the diamond.....but I can see the advantages of it, maybe it will get added to the list. If not obvious always dress behind the centre line, ie so the dresser can't get pulled in and jam.

A star wheel works well for the bench grinder. I made a little adjustable diamond carrier that'll go across my diy bench grinder tables. It works the best of all methods, but the star is so much quicker and does a reasonable job it lazily gets used more often.

Dressing the wheel just shortens its life. Move the tool evenly across the wheel and it won't need dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942
    Dressing the wheel just shortens its life. Move the tool evenly across the wheel and it won't need dressing.
    bench grinders yes maybe ..
    but surface grinders have to be dressed...not nessisarily for wear reasons ..the stone gets blocked or they pick up oils on the stone..leading to bad finishes.

i just have a block of steel that has a dimond tool in it ..that i put to the left hand side of the wheel

all the best.mark

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942
    Not true, as the wheel is used the abrasive particles become rounded and dull. In addition even when grinding steel the wheels become loaded. Both conditions require dressing for if you do not do so you run the very real risk of applying too much pressure and 1) burning/over heating the object being ground and 2) slipping off the face of the wheel and running your hand into the spinning wheel.

As to the dressers, I use diamonds for both. One made by Geiger is my favorite for bench/pedestal grinders as a previous poster said it not only cleans the face of the wheel but also trues it virtually eliminating the vibration which in turn improves ones grinding. You can see an example at: http://www.travers.com/skulist.asp?RequestData=CA_Search&navPath=All+Prod ucts%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch1%3Ddiamond+dresser&q=bl ock+id+84137+and+class+level3+id+29964&minPrice=$3 9.62
    Last edited by Dr Stan; 03-10-2011 at 09:53 AM.

I use mostly 8 inch grinders with blue, white, or pink ,stones except on two grinders. One is ten inch and another one is eight inch in my machine shop I left both of them with the wheels they came with.I find the ten inch are expensive to replace if you want good wheels that is probably why I left that one as bought . I only use a single diamond which I have just used and a t type multidiamond which for my money is much better I have never used a star type don't like the look of them too agressive for trimming/tidying purposes. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

The so called diamond dressers are really truers. They cut the abrasive grain and return the wheel to the proper shape. However, the cut face is not a good surface to begin grinding with as all the abrasive teeth have been shaved off. A star-wheel or norbide stick will open up the abrasive grain and restore the teeth by knocking out some of the binder without changing the basic shape of the wheel.

So, true up the wheel with a diamond and lightly apply the dresser to restore that abrasive face to full sharpness and you are good to go.

RWP

Quote Originally Posted by RWO
    The so called diamond dressers are really truers. They cut the abrasive grain and return the wheel to the proper shape. However, the cut face is not a good surface to begin grinding with as all the abrasive teeth have been shaved off. A star-wheel or norbide stick will open up the abrasive grain and restore the teeth by knocking out some of the binder without changing the basic shape of the wheel.

So, true up the wheel with a diamond and lightly apply the dresser to restore that abrasive face to full sharpness and you are good to go.

RWP
    If you need to use a norbide stick or a star dresser after you dress your wheel with a diamond, you probably need a new diamond.

A sharp diamond will leave a grinding wheel sharp and ready to cut. If the diamond gets dull and rounded off, it had a tendency to glaze the wheel and not cut well.

Look at your diamond under a microscope and compare it to a new one.

I spent many years grinding all types of material with most types of grinders and used a diamond on all but the Blanchard and snag grinders.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC