Thread: Need help with a comparison: Grizzly G4016 and Enco 13x40 lathes

Default Need help with a comparison: Grizzly G4016 and Enco 13x40 lathes

I've recently looked at a lightly used Grizzly G4016 lathe that is being sold due to a death. The asking price is $3000 and it comes with a few extra accessories also from Grizzly - probably a retail cost of $300-$500. I currently have an old South Bend 9" that i bought a year ago. I know it's nowhere near perfect, but I don't currently use it to do precision parts - just the odd piece I need to turn or re-size. eventually I'd like to have something a little beefier and less worn, and this seems to be in the cost/size range that I'd like. I know the machine has very little use on it, and the price seemed ok, but maybe not spectacular, since a new one from grizzly is about $4000 with shipping, plus accessories.

While looking I also came across the 13x40 lathes from enco. Does anyone know if these are all clones of the same animal? The specs seem pretty darn close. I know people seem to like both Grizzly and Enco when talking about inexpensive Asian import tools, so I wanted to get some input from the people here. The last Enco mailing I got had the 13x40 lathe with cabinet stand for $2800, plus about an extra $100 for shipping. With enco there always seems to be a 10% off code that will apply to machinery, so you're talking about $2650 delivered. if they are virtually the same machine with the same quality, it makes the used grizzly with extras still more expensive than the new Enco.

If they are in fact similar, I've thought about considering making a lower offer for the Grizzly, though I don't know if they would accept is, as they only know what was paid for it new, and not what comparable tools sell for. Any opinions and advice are welcomed.

Thumbs up Grizzly

I would get the grizzly because they have a better warranty and well work with you and tec is very good all so. I got a mill from them and they stand behind it love the mill Brett

"Clone" is an often misused word.These lathes are similar, but from different factories.

The list price of the Enco with stand is about $3600, the list price of the Grizz is around $4000.

The Grizz has a 2hp motor, and the Enco a 1 1/2hp, and I think in general, the Grizz is slightly more robust.

But $3k used for a $4k lathe seems high to me.

Many people think the individual quality of these lathes vary a lot from one to another- that is, any two Encos can be different.
    So its really hard to compare two lathes that are in the same general category, without actually looking at each one.

J.Ramsey Guest

I purchased my G4016 new in late '04 and it retailed for $2,595.

Hard to believe it's gone up $1,200 in 6 years

Except for having to repair the forward/reverse switch last year I've had no other problems with it.

You didn't mention what the extras are, I'd offer in the $1,800-$2,000 range.

A good bit south of you ("Lost Cause") is another Grizz for sale:

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/2236286726.html

I can't quite identify the model; looks like some flavor of 14x40.

And the price looks a bit much - but can't really say not knowing exactly what model and age.

Edit: If the price isn't simply inflated, then the above lathe might be an older G9730, 13x40 high-precision toolroom lathe:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/13-x...le-Phase/G9730
    Last edited by tlfamm; 03-10-2011 at 06:36 PM.

I have an 13x40 Enco from 1997 that looks identical to the one that they currently advertise for $2600. I am strictly a hobbyist with no formal training; I push paper for a living. My Enco has been a good tool. It has made many,many parts for a variety of cars, boats or whatever. With that said, it needed a few tweaks along the way, however, nothing has broken. The stand is barely adequate and I would recommend to anybody that can fabricate one to do so. When the unit originally operated there was a very slight vibration that I could not seem to get rid of. I put rubber isolators underneath the motor and went to a link style Fenner belt which helped but did not eliminate the vibration. I made one new pulley because the original seemed to have a lot of runout, however, that didn't really make any difference. The vibration did not really seem to hurt the surface finish of the work with the exception of threads. I eventually replaced the single phase motor with a three phase motor/VFD based on recommendations from here. The vibration went away. The three phase motor made a significant improvement in the thread surface quality and the variable speed feature was a greatly appreciated and useful added bonus. The three jaw chuck that came with the lathe was acceptable for use. The four jaw chuck was less so, but a home built grinder trued by the jaws and it works fine now. The tailstock is not real rigid, but an extension with a tight bushing seemed to cure that. A home made manual collet closer added to its versatility for little cost. I also put on a quick change tool post which I have liked a lot. WIth a couple of holders, it makes a lot of work much quicker. The clones from CDCO are cheap and seem to work well, less one or two set screws. I tried to get a taper attachment from Enco, but they said they didn't make one (the lathe won't cut 27 or 11-1/2 TPI threads for pipe anyway). At one time I thought I saw one from Grizzly that might work, but I never pursued it since all of the tapers I have cut have fallen within the range of the compound or the tailstock. The steady rest seems a bit small in capacity compared to some of the ones I see at work on comparably sized lathes. Overall, I have been very satisfied with my purchase. I have no experience with the Grizzly lathe. Good luck, I think you will like either as a step up from the 9" South Bend (same as my first lathe).

Doug
    Last edited by GT1; 03-10-2011 at 08:46 PM.