Thread: Motor replacement on a Asian mill-drill

Default Motor replacement on a Asian mill-drill

Wonder if anyone has a suggestion of a replacement motor for a "Rong-Fu" (or whatever) mill drill. The thing came with a "2-Hp" induction motor. The other day, after 15 years, it just said pfft and now it just hums. I wondered if I could replace it with a 1/2 hp American motor that I used to have on my lathe. Seems like I saw some posts that said they had successfully do this, with no real loss in power. Any comments, particularly from similar experience, would be appreciated. BEN

I kinda doubt a 1/2hp motor is gonna be nice in a milling machine, at least for face milling/flycutting. even if its old american.

Whats more likey, is you blew a capacitor. Cheap to replace. Amazing it lasted 15 years. Chinese motor caps are not well known for lasting.

Default Just did that

We just went through this on a the same machine, 12 speed (DM-30), A 1/2 HP will not even come close to running it no matter where it's made. we put a 2 HP 1750 RPM TEFC farm duty on it with a universal mount from surplus center.

Likely the start capacitor is shot, a few bucks for a new one will likely fix it. Also most motor start capacitors have a "starts per hour" rating on them, If the cap is rated at 10 starts per hour, try to stay below that, or it may go PFFFFFFT again. You can test it by removing the drive belt from the motor, if it starts and runs with no load on it it is probably just the capacitor.
    Last edited by Iraiam; 03-27-2011 at 01:42 AM.

I replaced my 2 HP "Chinas finest" with a 3 phase 2 HP A O Smith motor and a Teco VFD. While I was fortunate to get mine new-in-box AND free, you might pick one up cheap from any HVAC service company. Rooftop fan units are usually completely changed out rather than repaired, as it is quicker and gives fewer callbacks. The motors are generally fine and worth literally scrap prices.
    I have a friend in this business and he tells me that they routinely scrap these perfectly serviceable motors. The units usually fail for bad bearings, corroded fans, cracked heat exchangers or other reasons, but RARELY bad motors.
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Thanks to you guys who posted replies to my question on the Chinese Finest mill-drill motor. My face should be a little red because I looked farther into the problem and found there was a reset button on a little square box on the side of the motor which had popped out for some reason -- so, I pushed it back in and tried the motor, and lo and behold it jumped into action just like it did when it came down the Yangtze River. I really enjoy all the posts on this BB, and there are a lot of helpful guys out there. Thanks BEN