Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even a good bench grinder needs improvement

Default Even a good bench grinder needs improvement

Last summer I scored an 8" Baldor bench grinder for $35 at a garage sale. (gloatgloatgloat!) It had a worn rock and a wire brush, so when I freshened it up, I swapped on a new rock in place of the brush, and used a diamond point to true everything up.

It ran pretty smooth to start with, but eventually the vibration got worse and worse, eventually getting to the point it'd walk the stand around.

Turns out, the previous owner had done a lot of side-wheel grinding, and since the wheel wobbled somewhat, it eventually wore a slight hollow on one half. So now, no matter how much I true the wheel, unless I shave the whole side down, it'll always be off-balance.

So I swapped out the old rock for a new Norton, and that improved things considerably, but I noticed that even the new wheel wobbled side-to side. After some investigating, I discovered that the wheel mounting hardware wasn't itself square:

Neither the nuts nor the flanges had been machined, and all of them were crooked- only slightly, but definitely off.

And since the hex faces of the nut aren't necessarily square to the thread axis, the trick to fixing them is to turn a stub in the lathe...

And simply face the ends.

I've found flipping them and doing each face twice makes them very close to perfectly square to the bore.

The Baldor flanges are just die-cast and unmachined, so they were a bit off too. In this case, a cheap expanding mandrel was an easy way to fixture 'em for a light skim cut.

After facing both nuts (had to make a left-hand stub too) and both flanges (and both sides of everything) both wheels now spin with considerably less wobble, and once properly dressed, the whole grinder is much quieter and runs very smoothly. Not quite as smooth as my big Queen City, on which you can damn near balance a nickel while it's running (the grinder, not the nickel) but still very nice.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

really a hard working post

Just goes to show you: ANY machine can be improved upon. Thanks Doc, will look at my grinder a little closer now.

Mark

I've noticed an ever so slight wobble on my baldor grinder (nothing to this extent). I will have to look at this as a possible fix. Any chance you have a picture of the grinder? Just love looking at tools.

Thanks for the post Doc.
    It's all those seemingly small things that add up to make a big difference.
    Don't have any issues with my grinders but will give them all a once over.
    There's always room for improvement, every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Lusby
    Any chance you have a picture of the grinder? Just love looking at tools.
    -Of course. Can't have a proper gloat without pix.

Before:

And after what was little more than a paint job:

I put it on a heavy stand I'd originally made for my Baldor buffer, and it looks like a factory set.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

I've got a Baldor 1/2 hp that rotates around on the floor when I turn it on, I wonder if those modification would help me.
    "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Nice fix Doc, it's satisfying when simple fixes have been thought through and executed.

Gord

Hey Doc....This guy did some cool stuff to his grinder too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSi3lucyRQo

That was an excellent set of videos. I guess I will have to spend some time on my HF grinder 8^)

Randy