Thread: Any "Kipware" users here?

Default Any "Kipware" users here?

Kentech Inc. - Real World Machine Shop Software

Does anyone have any experience with this "Kipware" software? Opinions?

Sounds interesting. Hope to hear from some users, as I haven't seen any thing written up about it on any CNC machining sites so far.

Thanks for any help! Joe

gunsmither....I bought it (turning module)quite a few years ago but I have only used it a handful of times. I really need to set some time aside to practice with it more. I wish there were more u-tube videos on the drawing portion. ....Dean

peter Saunders Guest

Smile

I have bought Kipware M and a few associated programs. Kalculator, DNC, TP and DXF. I have done a couple of basic programs, but have not gone to the stage of proving then thru Kipware TP (i will get to that soon). I do feel that the shop front is basic, but it sure comes across to me as quite a powerful, no fuss package. The 4 associated programs I mentioned above can all be activated from within (icons for each) to to do calculations etc. with no apparent side effects that I could see. IMO I feel that it is very good value for money. I did have an installation problem that was "all my fault" and they stuck with me over the 4 or 5 days it took to solve. I would send an email, they would reply with a possible solution. It was, as mentioned my own fault (i'm running windows 7 and you need to disable a function to allow complete installation, but you must reboot (Kipware notes said to reboot too) for the effect to come into effect. Mind you windows didn't say to reboot. but anyway after a few days of trying this and that, they actually said they didn't understand why it wouldn't work and said, "you did reboot after you made the change didn't you?". Oh crap my fault. But they stuck with me and answered ALL my emails very promptly, within 12 hours (i'm on the other side of the planet). With the things I have done so far it should be a LOT quicker to program certain operations (jobs). There is a number of videos that you get access to, once you buy the product. The program is (IMO) so simple that all you have to do is experiment, try things, see what you get. For the most part it is a programming package. It's not a CAD side and a CAM side type thing. You select an operation type, describe the sizes (XYZ etc.) and it writes the program. A lot of little features I like too. One I like is the ability to highlight (colour) your axis in the written program. ie: make X blue, Y red etc. nice feature. Helps to find certain data in bigger programs. KIPWARE M. I like it!

Default Appreciate the relies!

Thank you gentlemen for the info. I tried out the demo for the lathe, and ordered it. Should be here any day now. It seems quite simple to use, and will be a great help in learning to hand code I think.

I bought the upgrade for the turn package a few weeks ago...i will try to install it tomorow and we can compare notes Dean

I'm a big fan of Kipware. I'm using KipwareT with my Hardinge CHNC and Fagor control

If I had to do it all over again, I wish I would have found Kipware when I started to learn CNC programming. I use it now exclusively for editing but holy cow, it would have cut my understanding and writing code learning curve time way down.

Look through their demo videos. Very well done. Software is inexpensive and well done. Fantastic learning tool. Fantastic editing tools and calculators. It's not a heavy duty CAD program. It's a conversational program method that will work with any machine, and by example you can see code generated for your part, and see and learn how gcode works.

I call up the editor and write my programs in Kipware. Need to check all of your Z axis moves, no problem- highlight all the Z functions with a color. Makes checking code and looking for mistakes very easy. When programing on the machine and needing to make a change in the middle of the program, I had to re-input the whole thing.

Do the edit in Kipware. Hit "sequence" and it re sequences all your line numbers. Fly it back into the machine control. Heaven compared to how I used to program.

I'm going to start using KipwareM (mill) programing with my CNC mill (SuperMax YCM-40/Fagor control), using the conversational method.
    Last edited by WestCoastPat; 06-19-2011 at 10:35 AM.