Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring of a treadmill motor.

Default Wiring of a treadmill motor.

I got a Nordic track treadmill motor and a mc 2100 controller from a junk treadmill. The info I found on the net shows the red and white wires on the motor to be the wires for powering the motor and two blue wires for speed control. Somehow the 5V pulse width on the blue wires controls the speed of the motor.

Does anyone know how that works?

Does anyone have a link to a schematic of the mc 2100?

The caps are bulging on the controller so I might have to buy a new one. Thanks to all--Mike.

Hi. The blue wires could be for speed control, but these are often attached to an overheat protection device. If they are thermal protection, you'll get a near zero resistance reading in both directions (unless the thermal device has failed). It is wired in series with the motor wires and the power supply. Reversing the power leads reverses the motor.
    Last edited by chipmaker4130; 04-20-2011 at 11:33 PM.

I'm pretty sure that the blue wires are for speed control. I just don't get how it works?

OK, if you’re sure its for speed control, it will likely be one of two systems. Either a tach-generator or a pulse generator (encoder style). Since the blue wires are the same (aren’t they?) it is likely a generator. You can spin the motor up and measure the output on the blue wires. The faster the motor, the higher the voltage on the blue wires. It works by comparing the generated voltage to a reference voltage set by the speed knob on the controller, and adjusting the motor power accordingly.

If it were an encoder, the wires would be differentiated somehow, since these are almost always polarity specific (and usually require more than two leads)

Well, it looks like I missed some things on your original post, sorry. If it is a pulse width modulation you get from the blue wires I'd be surprised, as this would require more elaborate circuitry inside the motor than one would expect. Nonetheless, there are several ways this may be used for speed control, and nearly all of them end up with a voltage/voltage comparison over a simple op-amp comparator in the end. The most common arrangement, in my experience, is a PWM motor control using armature feedback to regulate speed. I've got to hit the sack, but somebody will be along shortly to give you the long version!

Good night.
    Last edited by chipmaker4130; 04-21-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks for the help.

The blue wires look the same but the connectors have the opposite gender spade and lug ends that keep the polarity straight.

The motor number is C3354B3352 and the controller is MC 2100. The controller had a digital readout on the handle with lots of computer type outputs that I junked. I just saved the main board.

Can I use a generic controller to make this work?

Is this the same controller?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/IR...14_MC-2100.pdf

Cheers
    Batt

I think I was wrong about the blue wires. The motors that I have seen all have two blue wires. The pulse output was between the controller and the console.

Batt

That is the same one.

IIRC, you need a PWM command signal on to operate.
    Blue wire.
    http://www.dprg.org/tutorials/2005-11a/index.html
    Max.
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 04-21-2011 at 09:27 AM.

The T/M motor I'm using had a red & black wire plus 2 blue wires. The blue wires went to a thermal overload device which I removed. The original system had a slotted plastic disc on the end of the motor with an optical speed sensor wired into the controller. It was removed too since the system I'm using measures spindle speed instead of motor speed.

The original MC-20 (I think it was?) controller was tango-uniform so I picked up a used KBIC-120 controller (thanks to advice from MaxHeadRoom on the forum) on eBay for $28.00 and it works great!

edit: Oops, I'm slow today...I see you have pro advice from Max.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton