Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove a split roll type pin from a blind hole?

Default How to remove a split roll type pin from a blind hole?

I am trying to disassemble the Harbor Freight 6" tool grinder, so I can pull the rotor and double ended shaft, and true it up on the lathe. I am following the YouTube videos by ghostses doing my disassembly.

However, the shaft is retained at both ends with a split roll pin that functions as the key for the grinding wheel mounting plates. I can't remove the shaft from the motor without removing these pins. The roll pin are inside a blind hole in the shaft, so I can't just drive them out with a pin punch.

The videos don't show how to do this. he mentions the split roll pin, but doesn't show how to remove it.

I don't know how to extract it from the blind hole. Is there some kind of tool to do this?

If the pin is fully compressed, you can fill it with grease, then drive a close-fitting punch down the center hole, pushing the pin out by hyd. force.

Another method would be grabbing with hefty wire cutters, or grippy pliers and twist/pull. (If you can get to it.) Replacement will be required...

Sometimes a hefty sheetmetal screw will provide enough grip to pull it out like a nail.

Chip

I've had good luck using a hardened screw attached to a slide hammer.

Open it up by drilling from the other side and drive thru, the pin that is , not a shooting

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Default earlier suggestion

I have removed pilot bushings by filling with grease then smacking and old input shaft with a hammer, then refill with grease and drive it out a little further till its out. I have no idea about a roll pin but I have removed dowel pins by drilling, then tapping. Then use a piece of redi-rod in the dowel. by using washers and a nut have been able to pull them out. The slide hammer sounds like a good idea too. Jan

Default Roll Pin Removal

Sometimes grease is too thin. It may just go out the slot in the roll pin. If that happens, try modeling clay. It is a much thicker consistency but still will conform to a cavity.

Bumping because I am having trouble with a sheared off roll pin in a crank shaft. I tried a screw and slide hammer, punch with a lip at the end to catch the backside of the pin and pull it out, and a screw driver to try and turn it to get it going. I came on here looking to find out if it is possible to drill them out? I know they are very very hard. I saw someone mentioned using a tap? I will give the grease trick a try, any other tips?
    Andy

Andy

When I pulled the roll pins on my HF grinder. I made a plug of machinable wax that just fit the ID of the pin and used a punch that just fit the ID of the pin and was able to use hydraulic force to drive the pin out. On the other side the pin was to tight to get it out this way. I wound up using a diamond burr in my dremel and grinding on the ID till I could close the pin and pull it out.

Dave

I had the same problem and got the roll pins out by tapping them (using a taper tap then a bottoming tap to get as much thread as possible), threading in a 2"-long screw, grabbing the head with a pair of Vise-Grips and pulling. Worked like a charm and only took ten minutes or so to get both out.

JCav

If the pin is doing what it is designed to do then Johns' suggestion is the only way it's coming out. Split pins exert tremendous outward pressure when put in a correct sized hole.

But, as I guess, it was simply used as a drive pin then the hole was oversized and the pin is not compressed. It should come out easy with the other solutions mentioned.