Thread: Mounting a lathe chuck to a milling table?

Default Mounting a lathe chuck to a milling table?

Ide like to mount my 3 or 4 jaw chuck from my lathe to my milling table. Any tips on how to go about this or pics of any mounting brackets that you've made would be appreciated.

easiest, for one time, is some parallels and strap clamps.

For a more versatile set up, replicate the lathe spindle complete with some lugs to bolt through. I did this for a D1 3 mount on both the index head and rotary table, dimensions for most spindle types are available on the web

Best way is to get a rotary table. I would guess that if you want to mount a chuck on your mill you may have the need to rotate it. Are we talking vertical or horizontal mounting???

JL....................

If you don't plan on rotating the chuck than your vise and a V block or prismatic jaws will hold round stock vertical as would your chuck.

JL.................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee
    If you don't plan on rotating the chuck than your vise and a V block.
    JL.................
    Dont know why I didnt think of that.
    Thanks.

I did mine on a rotary table, put a flat-back chuck onto a piece of machined plate. Used ground off short pointed threaded stubs to MARK holes on plate for chuck bolts. Counter sunk back side.

This worked for me. I had a vertical or horizontal rotary table. Doing splined axles for streetrods on the mill you used a dead center off the lathe and steady rest.

I did so many 9" ford axles, I took a axle gear, welded to a plate solid, would insert the axle to spline into it, spline the correct place where I was going to shorten it, pull it, rotate to next spline, recut, continue till all splines were cut "same index" as gear spline. Once splines are there, cut axle, face off on lathe, polish a lil and put it in. If there is a easier way, I didn't find it.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Dr Stan Guest

I took the 4 jaw off my 9" SB and drilled and taped 5/16-18 holes in my rotary table. Made a locating plug for the chuck & the RT. Makes for a very efficient set up on my mill and can simply use the chuck where it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawai
    I did so many 9" ford axles, I took a axle gear, welded to a plate solid, would insert the axle to spline into it, spline the correct place where I was going to shorten it, pull it, rotate to next spline, recut, continue till all splines were cut "same index" as gear spline. Once splines are there, cut axle, face off on lathe, polish a lil and put it in. If there is a easier way, I didn't find it.
    That's pretty ingenious