Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good news!!

Wink good news!!

Lust has been wrongly branded a vice and should be "reclaimed for humanity" as a life-affirming virtue, according to a top philsopher.
    Professor Simon Blackburn of Cambridge University is trying to "rescue" lust, arguing it has been wrongly condemned for centuries, the Sunday Times says.

His campaign is part of an Oxford University Press project on the modern relevance of the seven deadly sins.

The list of sins was drawn up by Pope Gregory the Great in the 6th Century.

OUP has commissioned books on each of the sins - lust, anger, envy, gluttony, sloth, pride and greed.

Controlling lust

It says Prof Blackburn is aiming to save lust "from the denunciations of old men of the deserts, to deliver it from the pallid and envious confessor and the stocks and pillories of the Puritans, to drag it from the category of sin to that of virtue".

According to the Sunday Times, Prof Blackburn has defined lust as "the enthusiastic desire for sexual activity and its pleasures for its own sake".

The philosopher says that if reciprocated, lust leads to pleasure and "best flourishes when unencumbered by bad philosophy and ideology... which prevent its freedom of flow".

He points out that thirst is not criticised although it can lead to drunkenness and in the same way lust should not be condemned just because it can get out of hand, the paper says.

Professor Blackburn is quoted as saying: "The important thing is that generally anything that gives pleasure has a presumption in its favour.

"The question is how we control it."
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Gal:5:16: This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

1Jn:2:16: For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by motorworks:
    . . . It says Prof Blackburn is aiming to save lust "from the denunciations of old men of the deserts, to deliver it from the pallid and envious confessor and the stocks and pillories of the Puritans, to drag it from the category of sin to that of virtue". . . .</font>
    Thank you for showing us just where these old men of the deserts may have first condemned lust.

[This message has been edited by decoy91288 (edited 01-11-2004).]
    Craig

I don’t now if any of you watched the last episode of "American Chopper", but, Paul Junior bagged himself a blond bimbo, and while riding the roller coaster on the local fair (how appropriate), he proclaimed that she finally made him realize that there is more to life then just creating great motor cycles. What a fool.

Sounds a right wanker, pity his dad wasn't.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

British idiots are a dime a dozen. What does discussing this idiot jerk have to do with machining?

Cass, Tool lust! Ain't we all got it? Mike

John
    You got that right. Every time I see that show I just want to wring Jr's neck for pumping the puppies. I am surprised Paul Sr. has not had a stroke by now. Mikey seems to ne the only kid he has with any consideration for anyone else - him, I like.

I was watching a show on West Coast Choppers and they were showing Jessie James actually banging out and welding - with a Henrob torch - Aluminum gas tanks - I have to admit that he is good with sheet metal and the english wheel. I also did not know that they custom made wheels for each chopper in-house on a Haas VM-1 mill from forged blanks. And that they use Canadian made billet motors (cool!)

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 01-11-2004).]

I noticed he wasn't wearing gloves either. I have nearly fireproof fingers but not that good. Lots of pain killers?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I've watched a couple of episodes of 'American Chopper'.

If they'd edit the hour show down to the 10 or so minutes that actually deal with machining & fabricating the bikes it'd be great. I could hardly stand to sit through all the filler, stuffer, & melodrama.

[This message has been edited by Herb W (edited 01-12-2004).]