Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heads up UK show

Default Heads up UK show

Next weekend, May 13th, 14th and 15th, that's the Friday, Saturday and Sunday is the Northern Model Engineering exhibition at harrogate, N Yorks.

This is the biggest show of this kind in the UK, going on past experiences they get about 24,000 people thru the doors over the 3 days.

Trade, clubs, models etc, a good day out.

For anyone going pop, onto the CNC part of the Arc Euro Trade stand, hall 2, and say hello.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Sir John,With all respect for the English language, what the hell is"anyone going pop"? Really wish I could see that show. I'm fortunate to be close enough to get to the NAMES regularly. I wonder if the guy from India with the Benz motorcar model will make your show. Thanks, Bob Fisher.

Is it possible that Sir John misplaced the comma? If the comma followed going, then the sentence would mean the same as if I said "stop by and say hello".
    Jim

Yep - I also think the comma should be between going and pop.

John,
    I'd like to and am planning on getting to the U.K. sometime in the next 5 years or less. Would you consider that this show is the best one to go to in the U.K.? The wife unit is into gardening so spring, early summer would be ideal. The M.E. shows around Christmas would work for me but I really need to think of the other half too. LOL, I do owe you a pint for that "well he's british". If/when I get there I'll for sure buy you lunch.

Pete

Yes you are right, comma is in the wrong place, I won't edit it to keep relevance.

This show out of all attracts more people, there are others.
    Midlands in October, Sandown [ London ] in December and Alexandra Palace, also in London in January but these to are feeding off one another and because of rising prices etc something will happen to one of them or they will both reduce in size.

Ours shows are different to to the US ones like NAMES in that they are organised for profit and serious money is involved.
    It costs 30,000 to hire Sandown for the week. Revenue is made up by gate money and trade stands. Clubs and models are free.

However if the trade, who pay the most, find that it's not good enough / too expensive they will cut back and then people keep away and it spirals.
    Having two shows in the same location, admittedly by different organisers, in a one month period is madness.

People like Warco and Chester and Arc take large tractor trailer rigs to the shows with up to Bridgy sized mills and 14 x 40 lathes for show as well as all the little C3 / C6 sized machines so we are talking serious outlay on transport, fuel and hotels and food for up to 7 / 8 staff.

Unless our shows are better laid out in terms of where and when, we will loose some.

I have stopped doing the London shows purely on cost and have chosen just two well spaced out ones, may and October to concentrate on.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Yes Uncle Pete, this IS the show to attend rather than the others.

Just one thing to note, you'll need full Quarter-back padding plus helmet and polycarbonate visor. When you get over here, you can hire some cricketing pads and steel capped boots.

Bit of a battleground at times being poked in the eyes cos some pillock has a rucksack with bits hanging out, said rucksack also useful for braying the crap out of your shoulders or clearing a space by swinging it on or off their shoulders.

Pads and boots resist low level attacks from push chairs and wheelchairs, cos despite what some in the world think that the Brits are respectful and patient, FORGET IT, we can be just as pig ignorant as other parts.

The stands and displays however are superb, just some of the cattle that spoil it.

A few "urban terrorists" managed to block one of the aisles last year, but it's OK, Arc will have one of them chained to their stand this year.

Regards Ian.
    Last edited by Circlip; 05-07-2011 at 06:17 AM.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Hope you have a great turn out, and do a good bit of biz.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Ian,
    LMAO, I almost spit beer on the keyboard but I'll keep your survival tactics in mind. LOL, Thanks again.

Pete

I do not jest Pete,

Friday is Pensioners grab whatever you can cheeply day.

Saturday used to be a relatively calm day, (Unfortunately, Sir John has tipped many off about this, and quite a few wheeled warriors were in the mix last year)

Sunday is the "We're getting really pissed orft" day and is the last chance the vendors have, to strip yer hard earned readies. Might get some bargains that some vendors don't want to take back, but excess bagage charges are going to screw that unless you limit SWTSMBO to carrying every thing she needs for the holiday in her handbag.

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.