Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone made an EDM/Spark Eroder?

Yep, I basically can't do a google search these days without coming across pages and pages of information, that's been totally ruined and more than likely lost (because most people aren't going to go back and re-host and edit hundreds of forum posts; let alone those that are no longer active on a particular forum, lost access to their particular Photobucket account, or have passed). This Photobucket rubbish goes beyond corporate greed; it's akin to burning the Library of Alexandria.

It's almost cruel to know all the information I'm looking for was there, just a few weeks ago, and is now likely lost forever, with just the accompanying text to tease its existence.

The burning of the Library of Alexandria is what its like. I see it as corporate stupidity instead of greed, greed would have had them protect the brand. The ill will created toward such a well known brand is both incredible and imo predictable. The stuff of future case studies where students will gasp at the stupidity.....Move over "New Coke" case study, there's new marketing faux pas big dog in town.

The whole episode with Photobucket shows the true issue at hand
    Websites need to provide the bandwidth for photo hosting for their own forums.
    I dislike Photobucket immensely for what they have done . Basically the only reason folks utilized that website was to allow public use of their photos and Photobucket suddenly coming to that realization is as bogus an excuse as possible.. DUH !

When website forums host their own inventory, they are only as safe as the website itself, so while this site has been active for 15 plus years, there is no guarantee that the info will be public forever.
    Many of the folks here ,(We used our real names too !) remember the days of Metalwebnews and posted there, and that is now gone

The Moral is:
    Relish what you now have . There is no free lunch
    You want to support this website ?
    SUBSCRIBE to their magazines.
    Without that, we would not have this great interchange

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Sun God View Post
    Yep, I basically can't do a google search these days without coming across pages and pages of information, that's been totally ruined and more than likely lost (because most people aren't going to go back and re-host and edit hundreds of forum posts;
    It's not like it was unforseen. Every few years Futtabukkit would rearrage its innards and all the old links would break. There were plenty of threads *here* where that happened, more than once.

But most people regard posts as ephemeral, and they just kept putting their stuff on Futtabukkit because that's what they'd always done. And now it has finally bitten them all in the posterior.

Quote Originally Posted by jhe.1973 View Post
    Hi Pete & Jaakko,
    .................................................. ............................One other thing. I have pretty much experience w/electricity, but not much w/electronics esp. solid state circuitry. I am getting up there where quite a few friends have passed on in the last couple of years and I can tell that some of you are younger than me and much better versed where I am weak. So, if I lose my wizard friend that I have referred to I hope to be able to lean on some of you for the kind of help I can get from him. OK?.................................................
    Hi Everyone,

Well...................it happened........................!

Last Thursday I attended the memorial service for my friend, the electronics wizard who helped me ...... no, make that ...... who saved my butt with the project that I contributed to this thread.

So I may to do more leaning on the great talent here.

Thanks to you all who have already been such a great help with all kinds of questions I have had through the years.

Last edited by jhe.1973; 11-22-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

I saw this thread and thought maybe I could learn something about EDM. It occured to me the other day that my homebuilt CNC could maybe make a pretty nice EDM machine since all the homebuilt EDM machines I have seen look fairly crude. So I thought I'd list what I have to work with and get suggestions on how I might go about this. My machine is about minimill stiffness but has very precise THK ball ways and ball screws on all axis. The table does not move and measures 18" x 24", the spindle moves and work envelope is an 18" cube. I have large steppers and a 1500 watt 68vdc power supply for the steppers as well as a 12 vdc 30 amp power supply which runs the heaters for the 3D printing attachment.

I have 5 stepper drivers and can run the 3D printer extruder or the lathe attachment large stepper spindle motor with the 4th axis. The machine can move quite fast, 300 ipm with no problem and is microstepped down to 0.0015mm per step with the usual caveats about microstepping. The CNC control is Mach 3. However, I also have a Do-More BRX PLC in the machine. I have high speed digital pulse outputs to 250Khz. Analog current or voltage inputs, and analog voltage or current outputs, serial, and Ethernet ports. Behind the spindle I have 0xa Tormach QC lathe tool post which makes it really easy to mount the EDM tooling, and there is the spindle for EDM drilling too.

So what am I missing to do this? It seems I can read the discharge voltage and current with the PLC and control it too, along with pulsing the output. Mach 3 might not be able to run the Z axis slow enough but I can easily switch it over to driving it from the PLC where I can go as slow as I want. The PLC is connected to the Mach 3 computer for programming and the PLC talks Modbus too so I can interface it directly to Mach 3 as well.

Thoughts?

Kinda bummed,
    I thought someone would jump all over this with advice.

Sorry, not all of us have cnc edm machines in the shed....

The thing about EDM is that it is 'non-contact' so more suited to a 3D printer repurposing than a heavy duty CNC mill. You want the agility of a light weight head to hold the electrode and move it by the little increments needed. So I would suggest a secondary xyz with very limited envelope - maybe 1 inch that does the work then adds in use of the main system for occasional re-centering. Not sure how the CAD would handle this though.

Go ask that Canadian on YouTube with the creative vocabulary about the one he was supposed to design and took donations for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro