Thread: QCTH for Logan 922 Question

Default QCTH for Logan 922 Question

I just bought a Logan model #922 lathe. I saw a tool holder set at www.cdcotools.com but I'm not sure if it will fit my lathe. The info says it fits both 10" and 12" logan lathes but my 11" model is not listed. Does anyone know if it would work on my lathe?

Should; those lathes listed are just pretty common lathes of that general size.

Its the center height of the tool bit which relates to the overall height of the holder that is important and there is some degree of adjustment (that's why it is listed for a 9" South Bend but also for a large lathe); most QCTP have what, about an 1 1/2" to 2" of "range"?.

Can't "guarantee" as I'm not that experienced but...

I'm too lazy to go measure, but I don't think they have quite that large of an adjustment range, especially the smaller ones.

I'd say a range more like 3/4" - 1".

I first got the mid range one, 'C' I think, or maybe it's designated the '300' series, for my 13" lathe. Had to take it back and exchange for the next smaller '200' series ...whichever one accepts 5/8" bits. I could not adjust the bigger one low enough, even sitting flat on the topslide.

Ok thanks,it's the AXA model I'm looking at. I think i'll order it.

i use a 200 or bxa on my 14" rockwell and a buddy uses the same on a 14" cadillac. nice fit and not crowded although we both put a 3/8" thick spacer between the post and compound. when we decided to go with the QCTP we borrowed a CXA or 300 from another friend and found we couldnt lower the toolholders enough to hit center.

I use axa 100 on my 10 inch logan

Whether a QCTP will fit a particular lathe has nothing to do with the swing.

It has to do with the vertical height from the top of the compound to the center line of the spindle compared to the adjustable range of the tool holder when loaded with your desired cutting tool size. The range of the tool post is the vertical height from the base of the tool post to the tip of the tool and is defined by a maximum and minimum value.

Maybe somebody here can measure this range for the tool post you are planning to buy.

The scope for error when using the swing is greatest on older machines that were originally designed to take the cutting tool directly on top of the compound. If suppliers where to quote the range rather than the swing it would leave no scope for error.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by john97
    I just bought a Logan model #922 lathe. I saw a tool holder set at www.cdcotools.com but I'm not sure if it will fit my lathe. The info says it fits both 10" and 12" logan lathes but my 11" model is not listed. Does anyone know if it would work on my lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by philbur
    Whether a QCTP will fit a particular lathe has nothing to do with the swing.

It has to do with the vertical height from the top of the compound to the center line of the spindle compared to the adjustable range of the tool holder when loaded with your desired cutting tool size. The range of the tool post is the vertical height from the base of the tool post to the tip of the tool and is defined by a maximum and minimum value.

Maybe somebody here can measure this range for the tool post you are planning to buy.

The scope for error when using the swing is greatest on older machines that were originally designed to take the cutting tool directly on top of the compound. If suppliers where to quote the range rather than the swing it would leave no scope for error.

Phil
    Indeed I see what you are saying. The dimension from the top of compound to center of chuck is not that great on my lathe. However I think that the smaller axa tool post and the 100 holder will work. You will have to excuse my ignorance, I am not new to lathes or machining but I've been acustomed to heavy industrial sized machines.