Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think these drill presses are worth trying to save?

Default Think these drill presses are worth trying to save?

Howdy All,

While poking around the partially collapsed garage of a house we're thinking of buying I spied what looks to be a 1930's Canedy-Otto dovetail column drill press and a 1940's Buffalo 15 Floor drill press. Think they're worth trying to save from the scrapper? I have a feeling the owner might be willing to give us a break on the asking price if we handle the cleanup of the garage, and seeing as we'll need a dumpster to deal with tearing down the roof anyway....

-aric.

RB211 Guest

Have a buffalo 18 with a static phase converter on it. Payed 75$ for it I think. Its at my dads place, gets used a lot. The other one, no idea..

Default Go for it -

Look like both have possibilities, and would cost less buying something new with the same capabilities. A couple hundred for a restore and they will last forever.

Thumbs up

I would say well worth trying to save and from the looks of things you may not even have to try that hard.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Agreed those presses appear not in bad shape.

Got my "Canadian" a buffalo really,, out of a shed the roof had caved in and knocked it into the dirt floor,, got it rebuilt and cleaned up, a nice drill press.

Good Find!!!

My buddy has done a lot of buy/selling over the years and he still talks about the Buffalo as the one that got away......in drill presses anyway
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

You could make a lamp out of it.

JL.....................

Those Buffalos are nice machines.

I would consider saving them for resale at least. I could be wrong, but I suspect it would cost quite a bit to buy a new drill press that actually has a spindle taper and not just external threads.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

I'd go for the dovetail column machine any day.
    OK looks older and more antique but if you have ever used a dovetail column machine you will never want to go back.

95% of all day to day drilling jobs with different drills can be handled by just simply moving the top spindle column, the bed never moves.

It's only large jobs than need the bed dropping and they are not that common.

If you have a job with say three drills of increasing size and length you can belt these in with the dovetail drill far, far faster than a normal drill press after having to unlock the table, then lower it and relock it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I worked in a place where we managed to get a second drill press for the (small) workshop we had, and it was amazingly convenient. Having the second machine meant drill presses could be left set up for particular operations or at certain speeds; for example tapping & clearance holes or holes & chamfers/ countersinks. If you have the space sort them out and set them up.

Michael