Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT End of an Era

Default OT End of an Era

Shuttle dis-assembly-picture heavy link!

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...rogram/100045/
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Why are they bothering to take it apart? Just scuff up the right o-ring and attempt to launch it again. Self disassembley in about 2 seconds flat.

Likey cost less in fuel then it will in labour.

A wonderful but expensive piece of engineering. I guess in todays politically cash strapped climate we have to make sacrifices ,but I hope they keep most of it for the cape kennedy museum.I have been to the kennedy space centre in Florida several times and remember it's free of charge .A truly wonderful day out I loved the whole thing and enjoyed getting inside the mock up shuttle they have there.God Bless American peaceful technology.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

truly the end of an era,,, so sad that no one has the vision & drive to keep going.

the workers faces tell what they think... not a smile anywhere.

I don't mind that the shuttle program has been retired because they determined quite a while back that it isn't optimum and is more expensive and more dangerous than ideas that have been developed since it's beginnings. I would have liked to see NASA's next ideas happen. But it served a lot of people very well most of the time and the machine and people have my reverence and respect.

My gripe is that the future NASA projects that were in the works, one or two 90% paid for already, have been scrapped in order to divert the NASA budget into wars, foreign aid to corrupt governments, and other mindless gluttony appropriate for short-sighted, mindless politicians. What a disappointment this administration is proving to be.

Anyway, my hat's off to the amazing group of folks in all levels that made the shuttle program actually work. Nothing lasts forever but they made this program a success for an awfully long time considering how fast technology moves past the obsolete line.

Salute.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrone shewlaces
    My gripe is that the future NASA projects that were in the works, one or two 90% paid for already, have been scrapped in order to divert the NASA budget into wars, foreign aid to corrupt governments, and other mindless gluttony appropriate for short-sighted, mindless politicians. What a disappointment this administration is proving to be.
    Salute.
    "What a disappointment the administration is." <- Fixed it for ya.

Whens the last goverment you had that was not a disappointment? Not 'who', When?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrone shewlaces
    My gripe is that the future NASA projects that were in the works, one or two 90% paid for already, have been scrapped in order to divert the NASA budget into wars, foreign aid to corrupt governments, and other mindless gluttony appropriate for short-sighted, mindless politicians.
    You're talking about 2000 - 2008, right?

As was mentioned on the previous thread, NASA has degraded into a contract shop, and every one of their projects in the last decade has been late and wildly over-budget.

It sounds like you're referring to Obama cancelling the Aries V program last year. NASA was asking for $3 Billion in the midst of the nastiest partisan budget crisis in the last 100 years, and the rocket wouldn't be ready for first flight 'till 2020 at the earliest.

This year's budget debate is even nastier -- we almost shut down government because a certain demographic wanted to cut all funding for Planned Parenthood (which provides Pap tests, breast cancer screenings and most abhorrently, birth control) - a grand total of $25 Million out of a $3.8 trillion dollar budget.

So no, this isn't a good time for NASA to be asking for another $3 Billion to replace the Space Shuttle, 10 years too late...
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

I too find it very sad that America is reducing its governmental involvement in space. IMHO, NASA is one of the best deals the government has ever gotten, despite what many critics claim. Having interviewed for NASA for the Aries program before it was scrapped, I can testify to the dedication and pride in the people of NASA, and am planning on reapplying one day in the future For those that think NASA is the typical waste of taxes like other forms of government, realize this, I make almost double now in private industry compared to what NASA offered. During some mindless channel surfing late one night recently, I came across a rerun of "American Trucker" in which the redneck host went in search of trucks at the Cape. He found them, four 1967 needle nose Peterbilts that looked brand new, built to support the Apollo missions and still in use today by the shuttle program. Typical government agency? Nope. The typical government agency would throw away 2010 models to buy 2011s.

I have a sneaking suspicion that private industry isnt going to be doing much in space for quite some time.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

I wonder if I can get a piece of hydraulic cylinder rod to use as a cylindrical square?

Steve

Well you guys are right and I should have been more clear.
    This administration is a disappointment. I figured it would be because it always is. The Bush II years were ridiculous and I didn't care who replaced that because I just hoped SOMETHING would be different. OK, the big O won the day, but in the end this group is no different and likely worse than the last one.

"Meet the new boss - same as the old boss"
    I wish....
    should have written "Meet the new boss - worse than the old boss".

My political view is pretty simple. I don't have a preference for the morons on either side of the aisle. As long as they don't talk, you can believe what they say. I believe they are all so close to the same thing that I can't see much difference. It's just a different flavor of the same dung and I prefer a fresh tomato. Wish in one hand...

Anyway, NASA pretty quickly evolved to be a kind of extra limb of the fed. No surprise that it's bloated and inefficient. I know 3 billion sounds like a lot of money, but relative to what is spent up there it's pretty small, especially for a bloated and inefficient agency. 3 billion is less than 10 bucks per person. I'd make a donation if I thought they wouldn't just keep $9.98 and spend the other two cents on something else anyway.

The way I see it, what NASA does is just cool anyway most of the time even if it's pricey. If they could get efficient then so much the better (keep wishing in one hand...). Maybe it provided too much education and trickle-down technology that benefited the citizenry. Can't have that. Must close it down to free up money to squander on more useless stuff.