Thread: OT--Need Firefox help

Default OT--Need Firefox help

Something/someone hijacked my Firefox Web browser layout, yesterday. It 1) changed my home page; 2) installed Bing as my default search engine; and, 3) added a new "Startnow" Bing toolbar. I put things back the way I want them, but I don't want the "Startnow" toolbar and cannot find a way to get rid of it.

Does anyone know how?

I'm _ issed and suspect Microsoft is at the bottom of this mischief.

Thank you.

Orrin
    So many projects. So little time.

Have you tried a System Restore to a previous date?

Steve

go to add remove programs and see if it is listed, if it is I uninstall it.
    I use crap cleaner to clean out unwanted pgms with uninstall through CC or registry editor and rip them out. Just my 2 cents worth but works for me.
    Bill in SE Idaho
    With enough time & motivation anything can be fixed

Have you looked under [VIEW] --> Toolbars? I assume the Startnow toolbar will be listed, and you can just uncheck it.

I think there is also a way to actually delete it, maybe under [Tools] --> Add-ons.

You can change the default search engine by clicking on the faint little downarrow just to the right of the search engine's icon at the left of the search box. The Manage search engines... option will let you delete unwanted ones.

The culprit may or may not be Microsoft. My copy of Firefox got corrupted in a similar way when I downloaded and installed a free utility from CNET, which I assumed was a reliable source.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

You can try about:config in the address bar, hit the (I'll be careful button) and use the search or look through the very long list for something that has start now toolbar (there may be more than one) and uncheck the boxes or change true to false. Hope that helps

Jim Doherty

Quote Originally Posted by SGW
    Have you looked under [VIEW] --> Toolbars? I assume the Startnow toolbar will be listed, and you can just uncheck it.

I think there is also a way to actually delete it, maybe under [Tools] --> Add-ons.

You can change the default search engine by clicking on the faint little downarrow just to the right of the search engine's icon at the left of the search box. The Manage search engines... option will let you delete unwanted ones.

The culprit may or may not be Microsoft. My copy of Firefox got corrupted in a similar way when I downloaded and installed a free utility from CNET, which I assumed was a reliable source.
    CNET is a very reliable source, but you have to look at every step of the download process and uncheck any little added extras that want to get added.

Pops

I'm _ issed and suspect Microsoft is at the bottom of this mischief.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Use Google Chrome and don't look back.

yes your first though is correct it is the evil Billy gates and Micro suc trying to take over the world. as it and anything remotely connected to Mirco suc adds the Bing and other crap form them. Look under options I removed it from the firefox version before thew current one.
    Here is the link to the google pages I used the one from the mozilla help site and it worked
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only