Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glendo Accu-finish tool grinders / hones?

Default Glendo Accu-finish tool grinders / hones?

Just so I don't hijack Arthur Marks thread about grinding HSS with a diamond wheel,

There were a few comments about Glendo's Accu-Finish diamond tool honeing equipment in that thread. The few I read didn't seem all that glowing as to satisfication with this product. I'd like to buy one in the near future. Any thoughts from owners, users about if this machine is worth the high price? I already know it's not designed for basic shaping. I'm looking for something that will produce a top quality honed edge on both HSS and carbide. Speed isn't the issue for me, Quality and accuracy of the cutting edge is. So, any thoughts?

Pete

I recently bought a used Series 1 Glendo, if that is the type you are looking at. I got to use both a Series 1 and Series II at the Rich King scraping class in Arlington. These are low speed units meant for fine/keen edges. Mine came with a 260 grit roughing and a 600 and a 1200 grit for fine. And as you know you are not going to be hogging off profiles on your tools but creating gentle radii and slight bevels, but with no scratches or marks that would show in your hand or mechanically scraped finishes.

Not going to do for HSS. I would expect something with more speed and different grits for your HSS.

Hopefully Robert will add to this, more of his experience and recommendations as it sounds like he is building his own and maybe his range is better to cover both Carbide and HSS.
    Last edited by gcude; 08-28-2011 at 02:20 AM.
    Cheers,
    Gary

In my opinion, they are seriously over priced for what you get. The machine itself is made of light bent up sheet metal and flimsy cut out pieces. The wheels are pot metal as I recall with a very thin matrix of abrasive.

You are stuck with being only able to use the expensive Glendo wheels when replacements are required.

I don't know what Robert might be building, but a competent HSM would have no problem building a superior machine for far less money. At worst, the chicom universal cutter in John's photos would be a better investment for most purposes.
    Jim H.

I have had an accufinish series 1 grinder for about 3 or 4 years now. I really like it. I would say that for the price it is probably more of a luxury than an absolute necessity but I wouldn't be without mine now either.

The machine isn't made of sheetmetal, and the table is very rigid. It can definitely grind carbide as well as hss. The wheels are expensive but last a very long time. I have the 180 grit gator roughing wheel, and a 600 grit finishing wheel. They both look as good as new. I touch up my used carbide inserts and hss parting blades on it and it makes a world of difference in how they cut. The flexability of the table and protractor guide make it very easy to grind to exacting angles if you need too, like touching up a threading tool. It really doesn't grind that slow, but it won't eat up your tools like a high speed grinder will if you accidentally bump into it. If you are setting up shop, I'd use the money to buy other shop equipment that will be used more, but for a well equipped shop I would highly recommend one.
    Jonathan P.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Lazlo and others who "once saw one" or "used one for a few hours"....phooey. When they are complaining about "bent up sheetmetal and potmetal wheels" they are acting like folks who would turn down a hundred dollar bill because "it's only paper, and floppy worn out paper at that".

I HAVE and USE REGULARLY an ancient used Glendo for which I paid $125. it came with three wheels, a coarse, and two finer ones up to at least 1200 grit.

YOU CAN"T BEAT IT.

It puts an EXCELLENT HONED EDGE ON HSS and it does the same for carbide, carbon steel, etc.

The wheels that came with it had been in use by the previous owner for many years, and I have been using them pretty regularly for 3 or so years also. Not even close to worn out.

The prior owner had got it used also, with the SAME wheels. He called up Glendo about getting new wheels because he figured these were worn out, just on an age basis.

The Glendo folks asked him if they were still cutting, and a couple more things, then laughed and told him that if he kept them wet when using it, that the wheels would last plenty more time, and that he would know when they were worn out.

Evidently they were quite correct.

Sheet metal or not, my old one is solid, well built. Yes, the sliding adjustable table is very good for all sorts of angles you want to grind. it adjusts two ways, the table adjusts in vertical angle and a guide bar adjusts at angles in the plane of the table.

The ONLY complaint about it that I have is that inside curves it won't reach unless you try to do them on the corner f the wheel, which it isn't designed for, and I don't attempt.

Even at the $600 or whatever, it could be a good deal, in my opinion. It just depends on your needs and amount of usage.

There are plenty of folks who pay 4 grand for a chinese lathe on which to make little model engines...... some of them are right here posting..... they could get $1200 worth of value out of a Glendo, most likely.

Thank you all, I've read your comments and will read any future ones with a great deal of interest.

Pete

I have an Accu-Finish II that I use almost every time I go into the shop. I've used it for lapping valve faces (the head rotates up so the disc is horizontal), grinding sight glass ends square and clean, the standard carbide and HSS tooling as well as putting a really find edge on carbide scraping tools. I usually rough HSS on a regular pedestal grinder, but the 1200 grit plate on the Glendo really puts a nice edge on a tool.

BTW: if you're going to do inside threading tools they have a wheel that helps with the grind - it has a 30 degree reverse side on it.

I have owned and used an Accu Finish II as well as a couple of the reciprocating type grinders/hones. They work as advertised, but are very expensive if purchased new.

The Accu Finish I lists for $700-$1000 depending on the package purchased, the Accu Finish II goes for $1500-$2600. Add the microscope package and the price hits $5000. Replacement wheels start at $100 and go up to as much as $250 depending on the type. That reverse 30* wheel is $250.

If you can justify that sort of expenditure or find one for cheap on the used market, go for it. For myself, I can find much better use for that amount of money.
    Jim H.

My shop is small and equipment weight is a huge issue along with any grinding dust that could be generated. Without those restrictions I'd just look for a proper used T and C grinder as that would sharpen far more than just lathe cutting tools and carbide tips. As for Glendos tool makers microscope, I see no need with what some of the cheaper web cam setups can do for fairly high magnification and tool inspection. Yes Glendos equipment is fairly expensive, But from what I've read so far I think it may be worth buying. Again, I appreciate the information posted.

Pete

General remarks you'll have to take with a grain of salt because I have very little experience with the system.

Don't let an apparently flimsey construction of sheet metal dissuade you. If it works, it works. Look at ag machinisery. Made out of sheet metal and lasts for generations. I've seen overkill heavy cast iron equipment that's not satisfactory because of poor ergonomics, lame design, plain bad concept. It's all about the design. If you have a besetting prejudice against even well designed sheet metal equipment the Glendo is probably not for you.

From what I've seen the Glendo aint bad. It's an adaptation of an earlier design that I've seen where it was made of stout castings. The cast version was brilliant but expensive. So it's a trade-off: an excellent design brilliant in machined castings but expensive Vs affordable but sheet matal. Damn! I hate decisions.

OK The machine is a good concept. The grinding surface is a flat plane so interior angles and concavities are out. That said, it's a woodworker's dream for plane irons and chisels, gouges, scrapers (carefully) where dead keen edges are desired. It's not well adapted for use in a machine shop where the tools are so much more robust and long straight cutting edges are almost rare. However it does have a few niches like touching up carbide scrapers and final refinements of cutting edges. So keep these limitations in mind: shapening and final grinding, no. Refinements of the finished edge yes.
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 08-28-2011 at 07:19 PM.