Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: David Decaussin UMC-10

Quote Originally Posted by justanengineer
    If this is David, welcome and please stay in touch.

Personally I think ~$20k is appropriate for a small professional built machine of that calibre. It doesnt look like one of the cheap conversions to me, more of a scaled version of a real tool with a nice control.
    Didn't say it wasn't appropriate, just said I can't swing that. I was hoping for something around 14 or 15 max. I agree though, it looks well executed and that aint Mach3 and some steppers thrown on it.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc
    I agree though, it looks well executed and that aint Mach3 and some steppers thrown on it.
    +1 It looks well made, although you can't seem much of the mechanical details in the video. Dave mentions that he scaled down the VMC-15, which I presume he also helped design. He describes using heavy wall chromoly weldments instead of cast iron -- I'd love to see under the covers

A new HAAS TM-1, by comparison, is $26,900:

http://www.haascnc.com/mt_spec1.asp?...LROOM_MILL_VMC
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo

A new HAAS TM-1, by comparison, is $26,900:

http://www.haascnc.com/mt_spec1.asp?...LROOM_MILL_VMC
    4000 rpm spindle - a real slowpoke

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag

Besides, Dave's just overdriving a standard 3600 RPM induction motor -- no reason you couldn't do the same on the HAAS VFD.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo

Besides, Dave's just overdriving a standard 3600 RPM induction motor -- no reason you couldn't do the same on the HAAS VFD.
    To be fair...
    TM-1P Starting at $33,995.00.

To be fair...
    TM-1P Starting at $33,995.00.
    Yup, and they rapidly rise from there.

A TM1 is a rather large mill by comparison tho compared to what David is offering. Yes, theyre both on the "small" end of the VMC spectrum comparatively, but its kind of like comparing a Bport to a Clausing. If all you need is a small envelope and room for other machines his might be preferred. Without taking the time to look into specs, I assume the TM1 would also suck down the electricity quite a bit more = significantly higher cost of running.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

I'm interested to know how many people are prepared to part with $18,500 based solely on a short youtube video?

Has anybody seen any detailed info?

Phil

It is very simple to change the TM-1 to 6000 rpm, it takes about 5 minutes making a few parameter changes at the control panel. The reason it comes with a 4000 RPM spindle is for safety as it is an open machine. I briefly owned a TM-1 and it was set for 6000 RPM, even my TL-1 has had the spindle RPM increased.
    Mark Hockett

Talking UMC10's

The UMC10's are being manufactured in Simi Valley CA, your welcome for a shop tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett
    It is very simple to change the TM-1 to 6000 rpm, it takes about 5 minutes making a few parameter changes at the control panel. The reason it comes with a 4000 RPM spindle is for safety as it is an open machine. I briefly owned a TM-1 and it was set for 6000 RPM, even my TL-1 has had the spindle RPM increased.
    Overclocking a CNC machine?
    Does that void the warranty?