Thread: David Decaussin UMC-10

Hybrid View

Default David Decaussin UMC-10

I am looking for a thread that was posted a while back about this new small CNC machine center but I have searched several ways and can not find it. There is a youtube video of this machine and the maker David Decaussin. The video has an email address and I have sent several emails over the last month never to be answered. Does anyone know this guy and if he is actually making these machines for sale?

Here is that youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-y03hhCCME

Thanks Mike

I never heard back from David either, but the price was passed around by PM. It's pretty comparable to the price of a Tormach.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Can you PM me the price you got. I like this machine better than the Tormach but I might go with the Tormach if I can't get a hold of him.

Thanks Mike

Your inbox is full
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo
    Your inbox is full
    I did not know that I just cleared it out.

Thanks Mike

He sold one on E-bay about 4 months ago. I believe it sold for around $6000.

Looks like a well-made machine. I'm not sure, but the sound of it operating suggests that it's quite rigid, but could possibly benefit from some damping. It's a weldment, which I would suspect would behave this way.

I'm not knocking it at all. I am curious as to how it would stack up against an assemblage of castings vs the weldments. My particular thoughts at the moment are about static deflection- can a weldment equal or improve upon this vs a cast machine? Critical damping added to a more rigid structure should enable a superior performance- that's kind of where I'm going with this.

At one point, he mentioned a machined cold-rolled table. That caught my attention, considering the likelihood of it warping during machining. There was no mention made about stress-relieving, but I assume that given the skill required to come up with the UMC, he probably did give everything the appropriate treatment.

This is encouraging to those of us that might want to build a machine in some similar way, even though it might be a baby by comparison.