Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannon project

Huge manly man bonus if you bad a deer with it this fall and post pics! Iron sights of course a scope would look all goofy.
    James Kilroy

The Collected Projects in Metal Volume 2 has plans for a model Napoleon 12 Pounder Field Gun (M-1857) on page 194. It is quite detailed and runs to 14 pages. The 12 pounder Napoleon was widely used by both Union and Confederate forces.

I live in MD and the USS Constellation is in Baltimore Harbor. I've always thought it would be cool to build a replica of whatever cannon would be appropriate. Problem would be finding anything line dimensioned drawings.

Jeff

Thanks for all the references. I'll check them out for sure. I had found a drawing of one from somewhere on the web and scaled it down in CAD, but failed to add the approximate 2 deg slant on the wheels. I read where this outward splay on the wheels acted as a shock absorber. Pretty neat how they had this stuff figured out in the old days.
    Thanks for the information.
    I would like to get the next one (my personal cannon) to look really close to authentic as my skills permit.
    Got to get started on the linder cart for the sons cannon now.
    Thanks agin
    Ted

For the trails metal fittings at the rear, Visulise a beveled flat head rivett with a really long shank going right thru the rear wood on the trail and thru the metal on the bottom. Square headed nuts with heavy washers used on that side. About the same thing was used thru the steel wheel rims to the inside of the wooden wheel fellows. Hope this helps a bit. For a Napolean 12 lbr. the spokes were at a 5 degree angle between the wheel hub and the outer wooden wheel rim.

Pete
    Last edited by uncle pete; 10-29-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Here ya go! Deer hunting with a Mountain Howitzer!

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

I don't know, I much prefer deer steaks to blood shot hamburger. That's a bit overkill IMO. And that's said from a hunters perspective. I'm definatley not anti gun.

Pete

I agree! And I'm on my way to MO for deer hunting today..........

BTW, I want everyone to lnow I simply found that deer hunting with a Canon on the internet. I have nothing to do with it. Simply reporting it....

Quote Originally Posted by jep24601
    The Collected Projects in Metal Volume 2 has plans for a model Napoleon 12 Pounder Field Gun (M-1857) on page 194. It is quite detailed and runs to 14 pages. The 12 pounder Napoleon was widely used by both Union and Confederate forces.
    If that's the artical written by William F. Green, I started that project. After viewing some full size cannon pictures, I started noticing some problems with his dimensioned plans matching up with the full size Napolean 12 lbrs. I ended up buying a $60 set of detailed drawings some years ago that were done by a machinist who had access to a full size Napolean during a restoration. NONE of Greens dimensions match up, And numerous parts are not even close to what the full size Napolean parts even look like. The drawings I have appear to match very well with any detailed pictures I've managed to referance them to.

And nope, I don't have the contact details for those drawings, Or know if their even avalible anymore. I am missing one drawing for the metal plate used at the top rear of the wood trail where the towing ring attaches to. If someone has access to a full size 12 lbr say in one of the U.S. state parks, And would be willing to accurately measure and take pictures of that one part, I'd be more than willing to do a information swap.

Yes Green's drawings represent a Napolean, But their a long ways from a accurate model.

Pete
    Last edited by uncle pete; 11-01-2011 at 03:49 PM.

I just received a copy of Dixie Gun catalog yesterday.

Loads of cannon building supplies. From barrels to wheels to kits and fully assembled $10,000 cannons! Big and small, they have it all. Loads of pages of plans with details and lots of books on the subject.