Thread: Bridgeport CNC series 2 retrofit?

Default Bridgeport CNC series 2 retrofit?

I want to get a CNC mill I was planning to buy a small CNC machine center similar to a Tormach but I am wondering what it would cost to retrofit a machine like this one?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2587726695.html

How much time is involved in converting one of these to a more modern control system? I have a little CNC experience and have a cad program to draw my parts. I have been running a Shopbot CNC router for about 4 years but I bought this machine new and did not build it. I know nothing about building a machine. I have read through here and I am trying to learn but it is a bit confusing. I am not sure what a breakout board is or what it does for example.

I do have an extra controller for a Shopbot router table when my machine was new I had a problem with my controller one of my X stepper motors was dropping out and giving the Y car slop so they replaced the whole box. I believe it has geko drives and it has 4 of them so the bad one probably would not be needed. If nothing else at least some of this equipment as well as the case should be good to use. I am not sure if the drivers would be good for servo motors or if any of this would be useful?

I don't have a huge amount of time to put into a machine like this that is why I was looking at new small footprint machines.

I am considering this machine as well as a Tormach. I want to machine aluminum parts for my small business and my Router table is a little light for production of aluminum parts cut from 1" 6061-t-6 I have been outsourcing that work and I would like to do it myself. I just ordered $2600 worth of parts I could build myself each part is 2.25" x 5" x 1" thick that is the cost for 200 parts I am not sure how much the aluminum is but I believe much of the cost is machining. The other down side is 4-6 weeks lead time for parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-y03hhCCME

I have talked to this guy David Decaussin and may buy one of these machines. I am a hobby guy who started a business not a true machinist by trade. I have a Wells-Index vertical mill similar to a Bridgeport and a couple metal lathes so I have some experience with machines but I am no expert.

Thanks Mike
    Last edited by gundog; 09-09-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Mike,

I have a pair of these mills. I love them. They're not the fastest thing on earth but they work well for my purposes. I'm running Mach 3 on mine. I left you a PM. Give me a call and we can discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    Terry

There's only one way to find out, might as well get started now!

It all depends on if the machine has servos or steppers. It looks like a newer one so it probably has servos.

If the control works stick with that. Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Macona,
    I plan to come to the meeting today and I will bring some parts I wish to make on a CNC mill maybe you can tell me what you think. Did you watch the video of the UMC-10?

Thanks Mike