Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I seriously need a life or a ball turner wich ever comes first

Default I seriously need a life or a ball turner wich ever comes first

I stupidly designed a part for a client with 6mm radius ends and then just my luck he accepted the quote and asked for 30 of these suckers.
    Not having a ball turner or boring head I had to come up with this.

I drew a outline on my lathe bed with marking blue and use it as a rough reference to cut to.
    Then I attack the part with my lathe tool for hack machinist ... Aka a file and round it best I can.... Little bit of emery paper later and I have one of these.

Still need some polishing but that will be done later.
    If any one has a better solution for me please I'm all ears.

Westline
    If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough.

Form tool maybe?

Thumbs up

To me there are two ways to look at this:

a] each piece will be unique...the one in the photo looks quite good IMO but handing over 30 of them, it may make some look worse than others

b] perhaps the amount of time "hacking" would be balanced out if you made the ball turner with a lessened time per piece when its complete, a more consistent end product AND you will have the turner when done...the "down side" you may be making some $$$ with the project to buy the ball turner or get materials to make one (don't know)

Of course the finished products could easily be so exactly what the customer wants they order more and what happens if it is the "uniqueness" of each one that they want...then you could end up with a higher volume to do...that's not bad, just a thought

John S. posted a simple trick a long time ago for making ball ends in that size range. Grind a hole in the end of a file the size you need and use that free hand to round the end of the work.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger
    Form tool maybe?
    I was thinking about making a form tool, but with a small part like this will a That not give me alot of chatter?
    If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough.

It shouldn't on a lathe that size unless it is broken. You only need a 1/4 circle.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    John S. posted a simple trick a long time ago for making ball ends in that size range. Grind a hole in the end of a file the size you need and use that free hand to round the end of the work.

The method Evan mentions is here(see post #41):

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...t=23626&page=5

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    That only works for a 'full' ball and not just a radiused end.
    Loads of ball turners out there and everyone has their favourite.

I have one for the CVA that frankly is that complex it's a pain to use,
    The Bedaire one is very popular but not quick to setup, remove top slide etc .

I like this one.

It's a proprietary one from Sieg for the C1 lathe but I have made a simple bracket so it can be used in any toolholder so it's not machine dependant.

It's very simple tool, one could be made in an hour from scrapbinium {tm} and an old HSS lathe tool.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

You might not even need a ball turner for one that small. I've made small ones (radii) by just using the compound. Use a short tool, loosen the tool post and crank the compound back past the center line. Use a lever and turn the tool post.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 09-09-2011 at 07:53 PM.