Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabricating an impossible to find oil tank for a motorcycle

Why the two 'inlets' at the top?
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

You say tig

I'm having trouble understanding with so little evidence of use of the edge butt weld ..how it seals

I see just the base and the top held there ..by what looks like heat between the two panels .

sorry ..I'm not that up to date ...just know, i couldn't do that ..and get it to hold anything ..

my top edge would be as wobbly as hell with blobs, before i was satisfied that it would hold anything.

it does look good though.

all the best.....mark

Nice job!, how about some pics of the full bike?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Moons
    If memory serves, and I don't know why it would, there was a clear tube between the top and bottom to show oil level.

I built a couple aluminum xrtt tanks in the early '90's for a guy who had a ratted out original...I can't remember his name , but I do remember he lived in the Waterford MI area...Shawn

Nice job on the replica...if you would have gas welded it , you prolly coulda sold it as an original...

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Moons
    One oil return, the other is a vent line. Beautiful work, I'd love to see a picture of the whole bike.

nice job, would really like to see some pic's of the m/c too. do you have a thread going at the JJ on this build?

Default Thanks for all the interest and compliments!

Hi Everyone,

It's 3:40 PM now & I just stopped in the house to retrieve my phone I left in here.

I had/have a bunch of stuff that has to be done before I start another thing, so it will probably be tonight before I can get back here w/photos of the tools etc.

x39 beat me to it about the vent line.

To try to keep a dry sump engine from filling w/oil the scavenge pump has to be larger than the pressure pump. So oil returns at a higher rate than what is used in the engine. W/O the vent you would get a pressure build up in the tank that can actually split seams. That means that you have to release the pressure somewhere. Because they run a timed breather in the engine to help scavenge the flywheel area, you can't just vent the tank to the surrounding air. So they vent it to the cam chamber where it can be the same pressure/vacuum as the engine.

A lot of V twins did/do the same thing because of the large pulses of air generated below the pistons.

As far as the edge weld not being wobbly, you use all the help you can get from any hand rest you can fashion. I'll post a photo of what I use when I get back here. Also, you can use the torch cup itself as a rest on small welds like these.

I stamp my trademark on the things I do just so they can't be sold as originals, and besides, I like the proof of what I have done.

Have to go back to the shop, but here are a few photos I already have on photobucket:

Last edited by jhe.1973; 01-07-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Very nice work on the tank!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Great work!
    Andy