Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. The late great TARANTULA migration...

Default O.T. The late great TARANTULA migration...

This has been an epic year so far for Tarantula's --- iv seen about 5 on bike rides and just as many driving my car,
    It' so cool that I live in a place that has these guys - they are very cool and very exotic looking, when I first moved out to colorado from michigan I did not know that they even existed out here but my particular area is a mecca for them.
    It was 90 degree's today so I knew they would be on the move come dusk so I threw my camera in the car and headed out to find one - about three miles later here he was --- he made it all the way across highway 50 - both lanes and had only one (very dangerous) foot to go before safety so I parked a little in the road and waited for him to cross.
    many don't make it to the other side due to traffic.

This guy was pretty big - don't let that line on the road fool you - it wasn't in the middle of the road - it was an extra thick sideline that had ended due to it leading to a side road, this guy was about as big as my hand minus an end knuckle if he spread out and I wear a large glove - he was about my hand and half a first knuckle just as he was.

They crawl at a lumbering pace but don't let that fool you -- they are very fast if need be...

Hey! I'd love to see a spider driving your car. Got a picture?

They are on the move here in central Texas. They are pretty docile. I have found two in the house in the last week. Don't know how they are getting in but when I took a box off the upper shelf in the closet and found one about four inches in front of my face it was startling to say the least.

The old timers said that when they are substantial numbers moving late in the day that it is going to rain soon. We finally got a little rain yesterday. Not enough to fill all the cracks in the ground but we are glad for anything here now.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker4130
    Hey! I'd love to see a spider driving your car. Got a picture?

That's where id draw the line -- if I caught one driving my car it would be no more Mr. nice guy...

Boucher that would freak me out --- never had one in the house - had on in the yard but in the house would be pretty intense - I would still catch it and let it go - they are cool and not a bad spider as spiders go --- now the brown recluse that's a different story and we have them too.......
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 09-28-2011 at 11:12 PM.

I saw one once in Texas crossing the road. It was so big it was casting a shadow.

As to the brown recluse spider, I was bit by one once. It took nine months for the bite to heal.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I haven't seen one all year. That's not normal. I haven't seen a vinegaroon (whip tail scorpion), barely any toads, nothing.

Then again its been a weird year, a REALLY DRY year.

Tarantulas are pretty cool, they(used to) just come wandering through the office here at the shop, I usually just ask them how they are doing, and they go on their way.

I don't like the rattle snakes though, we get one inside the shop about every 2 years.

I miss the toads, they come out when it rains. Thousands of them. they've got personality. Last summer, sleeping on the couch here in the break room. Damn toad sat there and watched TV all night, a bug would walk in the door, he'd go over and eat it, then go back to watching TV. That damn toad sat there and watched that TV for 3 fricken days straight.

If it's a "strange animal" it will end up here. I got a snake in my attic of my shop large enough to stand up and go into the wall 8 feet off the ground.

I have never saw a snake that large hereabouts for 30 years.. last time it was "called" a coach whip snake off Rockyface Mnt.. I don't have a clue what that was actually. a very long brown non-poisonous snake about the size of my forearm. Some kids shot it and I nailed it to a telephone pole and skinned it for them.

Not sure if this is the skin from the same snake, it has shriveled, was about the size of my forearm, has dried out and collapsed.

This one is too about that diameter.. not short and fat like a rattlesnake, or copperhead. I have not gotten to inspect it up close, but I am carrying my pistol again. A snake that large can break bones when it strikes.

Odds are it is someones "pet" that got loose during the recent tornadoes. The only picture I have saw of it was on a poor resolution video camera late at night, when it turned on the security lights and crawled into the ceiling.

I have chickens close by in a pen. Chickens bring rodents and other pests.. I have not lost any chickens yet.

Spiders.. well putting on my ear muffs about a week back.. I noticed a nice recluse spider in them.. what a thrill to think about being bitten in the ear by the area's worst spider. They cause flesh rot.. it turns black and must be cored out like a apple.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Had one for a pet a few years back. Fed it crickets or newborn mice. It would catch all the crickets and roll them up into a ball and feed. Was pretty docile, escaped a couple of times. Would just pick it up by its back and put it in the aquarium. One of it's defensive means is to dislodge the hairs on the back of its abdomen, they're pretty irritating when they get on you. I can imagine it would be a bad day for any predator who got an eye or nose full. It would put up a very fine web on the glass, that's how it was getting out when I would forget to secure the top screen. Impressive looking critter right after it molted. Lived about three years.

Here we have bird spiders which can grow to about the size of a dinner plate.

http://www.extremescience.com/biggest-spider.htm

I'm not sure if the is the exact species, but its something like this.
    Vitória, Brazil

One of the things I miss about bicycling in Arkansas, the Sept-Oct
    tarantula walks, where the exclusively male (short lived) tarantulas
    go hunting for sedentary females (long lived) to mate with. And then
    there are the centipedes, 5" long black centipedes with red or yellow
    heads.
    Steve