Thread: OT: Murphy's Law is having its way with me...

Default OT: Murphy's Law is having its way with me...

An old High Standard wasn't feeding well last weekend, so I decided to strip it down for the very first time. During disassembly, I shot a small spring toward the wood stove. That corner has quite a mess since the stove has been idle all summer, and you know how a spring can head for parts unknown. But I didn't even have to look for it; it came to rest in the 4 inch square of clean floor.

Tonight, during reassembly, I slipped off the extractor and cling clang off the other direction it went. Two hours later of deep cleaning, it still hasn't surfaced. I even have a plastic dry cleaner bag to work in (to limit the flight path) but hindsight being what it is, well you know. Murphy sucks.

Thats cause the guy that designed the old models High Standard hated anyone that worked on them. I have a couple and they reside in the safe. I will not work on them anymore, I don't have the patience or eye sight to find the damn small springs when they go boing.

Take them apart in side a pillow case.

when you add up all the time iv spent looking for things I hate to admit it but it could be years, springs can really have a mind of their own, don't forget to look into the tread of your own dang boot,, boy - that one got me for about 3 hours worth one time...

Taking a customers head apart one time a valve spring retainer (titanium mind you) went flying after the tool slipped. I heard it fall behind the wood stove...

I spent days! I had some sheets of drywall up on the walls around the wood stove to protect the insulation. Pulled all the drywall off the wall and all looking for that stupid retainer!

One day before winter I was cleaning up the stove and found the retainer. Somehow it bounced off the floor and up onto a little lip on the back wood stove behind some decorative cladding. It was just pure luck that I found it.
    Andy

The ones I hate are when you lost something and don't realize it....until you put it back together and it don't work.

Last week I had a "wild hair" to disassemble my Kurt-style milling vice for cleaning and adjustment. What I didn't know, but soon found out, was that the jaw "lock-up" system uses a small 5/16" hemispherical pin to center the vice jaws and apply equal pressure to the very center of them. This part fell out, and, of course, disappeared. Since I don't have any assembly drawings or parts breakdowns I didn't know it was gone, but the vice didn't work worth beans when it was finally cleaned of half-a-pound of swarf, painted and reassembled. I tried all kinds of adjustments and combinations...nothing worked. So, I took it apart again, and carefully inspected it...nothing.
    Then, just by happenstance, I was showing a friend the vice parts and telling him of my mis-adventures in mill vice repair, when I noticed a shallow depression in the back face of the movable jaw. That small piece of swarf, which I'd mistaken for an off-cut, was the reason for my vice's poor performance! We both searched for over an hour without finding it. But, I did find a couple of center punches, a scriber, and a small gear that I'd been making, a month ago. With no drawings or even a good idea of what the pin looked like, I started off with a piece of 5/16", O-1 oil hardening drill rod.
    I dug out my ball turning attachment, and after an extensive cleaning and a new HSS cutter, I turned a hemisphere on the end of the rod. A little file work, and a good polishing with emery cloth brought it almost to a machined perfection. I parted it off and filed the backside of it flat. Now, how to harden it? Wait a minute...There probably isn't a hardened part in the whole vice...what am I thinking?

Re-assembly went well, and this time, I made certain the hemisphere didn't fall out. The vice works freely and the jaws lock up perfectly...and, the fresh paint-job matches my milling machine. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't know what you're doing.
    Last edited by saltmine; 09-29-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

saltmine: if it makes you feel any better, Iv heard some of those kurt knockoffs have very unround... Whatever that part is
    So you may of made an improvement.

Also, if anyone else takes a kurt apart, the way to get the button back in is to use grease to stick it into the round recess.