Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I took my machine shop into the woods…

jhe.1973.... Man alive! M-37s, K-models, machine tools, homesteading.... WOW! I'm glad you're on this board, great stuff! Thanks for posting.

Very interesting posting Jim,,Thanks much for that.

And YES those kids have leaned some GREAT lessons,, good for you and your'e wife for being in the position to raise them that way.

Jim,
    Thanks for the photos. Reminds me of the machinery my folks had and I spent a lot of time around as a child, though not in such a hardscrabble environment.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

gary350 Guest

Cool............... It too bad you live on the side of a cliff you need to find some flat land.

Thumbs up If you liked my other stuff, how's this?

Quote Originally Posted by x39
    jhe.1973.... Man alive! M-37s, K-models, machine tools, homesteading.... WOW! I'm glad you're on this board, great stuff! Thanks for posting.
    This photo was taken about 2 years before the others.

We lived across the road from our property while we worked on it. It took 3 years to plan, layout & cut our road through 1100 feet of woods.

This was my primary vehicle & I was setting it up to be the dual purpose vehicle for all the work in store.

I installed a slant 6 engine & heavy duty 4 speed out of a 65 Dodge 3/4 ton truck into the Willys. It already had a Warn overdrive that I could use as a splitter.

So, when finished, I had 16 speeds forward & 4 in reverse. In 1st gear & low range at almost full throttle you could get the speedo needle to start bouncing off of zero.

I hauled an awful lot of heavy loads up the mountain w/this rig but then I got my first M37 & this Willys became our highway vehicle.

gary350: You'll be glad to know that now that I'm in Arizona we have to drive about an hour to find some cliffs to roll over.

All of you are most welcome for the photos & I thank you for your interest!

I SOOOOO appreciate being a part of this group of people. It reminds me of the daily contact I used to enjoy when I worked in various shops through the years.

Those are are only 2 children we had & when my son committed suicide 6 years ago, finding people to pass on as much as I can has become more difficult.

Although my daughter sincerely likes working w/her hands & is good at it, we are having a tough time getting together regularly for me to feel like I am accomplishing enough.

So, like it or not I've adopted ya'll.
    Last edited by jhe.1973; 11-22-2017 at 01:01 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by jhe.1973
    I’m particularly pleased with our kids (Angela 9yrs. Jesse 11yrs.) for
    staying w/us for 11 straight hours! Because the red one was out of view when
    we started they relayed hand signals to me at the top, from my wife at the
    bottom. Lots & lots of stop & go & hiking up & down. But, we functioned as a
    team.
    My vote is that the missus deserves a tip of the cap, as well. For that day,
    and (I am just guessing here) a few others, too.

If I was to find myself in a tough spot, I'd consider myself lucky to have you
    in it with me.

My condolences on the loss of your son.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr
    My vote is that the missus deserves a tip of the cap, as well. For that day,
    and (I am just guessing here) a few others, too.

If I was to find myself in a tough spot, I'd consider myself lucky to have you
    in it with me.

My condolences on the loss of your son.
    Thanks Eddy,

Also thanks for pointing out that my wife deserves more than I credited.

She helped me unload my B-port & South Bend when I first came home w/them. Helped me move a 2000 lb. planer table I used as a fab table. Hauled bricks when I was building a chimney & the list goes on.

Your perspective is most welcome.

I feel lucky, perhaps blessed is a better word, to have the option of the internet & the human connection it can provide.

A week or so ago I found myself in a tough spot having to move a shaper & people in this forum (& PM) rallied around w/their assistance.
    Last edited by jhe.1973; 09-24-2016 at 01:38 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

gary350 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jhe.1973
    This photo was taken about 2 years before the others.

We lived across the road from our property while we worked on it. It took 3 years to plan, layout & cut our road through 1100 feet of woods.

This was my primary vehicle & I was setting it up to be the dual purpose vehicle for all the work in store.

I installed a slant 6 engine & heavy duty 4 speed out of a 65 Dodge 3/4 ton truck in the Willys. It already had a Warn overdrive that I could use as a splitter.

So, when finished, I had 16 speeds forward & 4 in reverse. In 1st gear & low range at almost full throttle you could get the speedo needle to start bouncing off of zero.

I hauled an awful lot of heavy loads up the mountain w/this rig but then I got my first M37 & this became our highway vehicle.

gary350: You'll be glad to know that now that I'm in Arizona we have to drive about an hour to find some cliffs to roll over.

All of you are most welcome for the photos & I thank you for your interest!

I SOOOOO appreciate being a part of this group of people. It reminds me of the daily contact I used to enjoy when I worked in various shops through the years.

Those are are only 2 children we had & when my son committed suicide 6 years ago, finding people to pass on as much as I can has become more difficult.

Although my daughter sincerely likes working w/her hands & is good at it, we are having a tough time getting together regularly for me to feel like I am accomplishing enough.

So, like it or not I've adopted ya'll.
    I use to live in Tempe Arizona. If your in the Phoenix area don't forget to check out the largest flea market in the area Park and Swap at the Gray Hound parking lot and another large one is Apache Junction. Its flat as a table top out there and the weather is so nice in the winter and not as bad as most people think in the summer because humidity is so low. Houses and yards are small 1200 sq ft use to cost $350,000. but there are some good deals now I looked at some nice houses in Queen Creek area reduced from $300,000. to $149,900. Yards are too small to have a shop in a 20 ft back yard and 15 ft front yard 3 ft on the side yard if I could buy 2 houses side by side I could use one house as my shop. LOL.
    Last edited by gary350; 10-05-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Wow jim I am envious of your big heavy timbers on the wagon some of that looks like nice big lumber I would love to turn some peieces of those. Anyway go for it.I had an elderly friend he is dead now he dreamed of having a shop for years his son bought just such a place ,but as he said going into his eighties it all come too late for me. Have a great life buddy and get yourself busy enjoying life. Work work work killed my father as well as cigarrettes he died a year older than I am now at 61. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Jim- My, you certainly put some major time and work into your W. Virginia homestead. Those were pioneering efforts ! I assume a job change , or perhaps family changes, took you to Arizona. I did my own "pioneering" 35 years ago on my property and home, and I managed to stay here throughout the years. I suppose what I regret the most is getting too old for that sort of thing . And these days, I can only watch as my little "empire" decays and crumbles from neglect. In many ways , that " rough and tumble" work, although challenging and difficult , was still the most memorable and fun times I've ever had.