Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I took my machine shop into the woods…

Excellent post Jim,the only thing better than looking forward in life is looking back to see how far you've come!

Thanks for sharing!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by gary350
    I use to live in Tempe Arizona. If your in the Phoenix area don't forget to check out the largest flea market in the area Park and Swap at the Gray Hound parking lot and another large one is Apache Junction. Its flat as a table top out there and the weather is so nice in the winter and not as bad as most people think in the summer because humidity is so low. Houses and yards are small 1200 sq ft use to cost $350,000. but there are some good deals now I looked at some nice houses in Queen Creek area reduced from $300,000. to $149,900. Yards are too small to have a shop in a 20 ft back yard and 15 ft front yard 3 ft on the side yard if I could buy 2 houses side by side I could use one house as my shop. LOL.
    We first moved to Casa Grande from WV for 15 years & recently moved to Winslow. I am familiar w/the climate in the desert floor & agree that the winters are great. They seem to be over quicker too, perhaps because a person doesn’t have to be inside all the time.

Thanks for the tips about the swap meets. While in CG we did get to each of them once as I recall.

If you are thinking of moving this way again you may want to look at the Casa Grande or Maricopa areas. They both overbuilt during the boom & prices are super now. A couple of days ago I visited a friend in CG who sold their 2000 sq. ft.house for $182,000 about 4 years ago. It’s available now for $35,000.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hosie
    Wow jim I am envious of your big heavy timbers on the wagon some of that looks like nice big lumber I would love to turn some peieces of those. Anyway go for it.I had an elderly friend he is dead now he dreamed of having a shop for years his son bought just such a place ,but as he said going into his eighties it all come too late for me. Have a great life buddy and get yourself busy enjoying life. Work work work killed my father as well as cigarrettes he died a year older than I am now at 61. Alistair
    Those timbers were mostly railroad ties & segments of them. The mountains out in the eastern U.S. are loaded with large hardwood trees of all kinds. They still have a fair number of small sawmills, although they are slowly disappearing too.

Great advice to get busy enjoying life – I’m doing my best. Will be 64 in a few weeks but I am still quite active w/house & shop projects.

I grew up in my dad’s machine shop & he came down w/parkinsons. I hope that yours is a milder version. I know it can be frustrating my friend.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bill736
    Jim- My, you certainly put some major time and work into your W. Virginia homestead. Those were pioneering efforts ! I assume a job change , or perhaps family changes, took you to Arizona. I did my own "pioneering" 35 years ago on my property and home, and I managed to stay here throughout the years. I suppose what I regret the most is getting too old for that sort of thing . And these days, I can only watch as my little "empire" decays and crumbles from neglect. In many ways , that " rough and tumble" work, although challenging and difficult , was still the most memorable and fun times I've ever had.
    We finally left the mountain because we couldn’t turn our backs on the neighbors in that area.

This last spring I took the B-port in these photos out to a friend back there for a trade.

He grew up out there & told us, “I wish we had met before you moved there. You couldn’t have moved to a worse place. They have been fighting amongst themselves up there for generations and you move into the middle of it.” He also told us he knew of areas in those mountains where the people will do anything to help you. But as he said, “But not up there”.

“watch as my little "empire" decays”

Wow, does that hit home. In the photo of both Dodges you can see, between the trucks, the cleared area w/power pole at the bottom of the hill. After I had cleaned up all the downed brush & trees from getting the electricity in it looked like a park down there.

The following year it got away from me w/my playing Mr. Mom besides the work you’ve seen. It was due to be a constant struggle just to maintain.

But we’re on the same wavelength, “although challenging and difficult , was still the most memorable and fun times I've ever had.”
    Last edited by jhe.1973; 10-06-2011 at 04:42 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Thumbs up How far you've come!

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience
    Excellent post Jim,the only thing better than looking forward in life is looking back to see how far you've come!

Thanks for sharing!
    I'm happy to share whatever I can and thank you for the interest.

I REALLY like your comment about looking back! That's one I need to (and will) remember!
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Hi Everyone,

Just a bump 'cuz I FINALLY got here to update these photos.

If I live long enough I'll get all of my photos back in their proper order!

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Good post. Glad you brought it back.

Wow, like looking in the mirror, including the bad neighbors...

Haven't moved yet but really just keep to our selves. Between the neighbors Confederate flag, old 4x4's, piles of junk, and lots of no trespassing signs I think our property value has gone down. Everyone talks behind his back( negatively) and thinks he is Mr. Wonderful, talk about a disconnect.
    I have found over the years as I avoid any interaction with him that I have grown as a person and he has not, and that gets starkly obvious as time goes by.
    Not my quote but I like it; "Everyone gets the chance to grow up, some people do."
    I wish you the best in your new location, the personal growth by looking back as I have found, a real reward that gets sweeter with time.
    To carve out a homestead is rare these days. Someone once said I did the "Paul Bunyan thing" - didn't know it was a 'thing' but ok gets the idea across I guess.
    Last edited by Abner; 11-22-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks for fixing the photos Jim. There is something nice about living out in the middle of nowhere. Having ridden a motorcycle through some of that area I know of it's beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    ..................................... Not my quote but I like it; "Everyone gets the chance to grow up, some people do."
    Hi Everyone,

I like that quote as well. Reminds me of something I have said (don't remember if it is mine or not) "Growing older isn't the same as growing up".

Thanks to all for the well wishes and positive feedback. It makes repairing the photos all the more worthwhile.

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim