Thread: Mitsubushi Meldas 500 Control.

Default Mitsubushi Meldas 500 Control.

Is this a good control system or is it obsolete needing to be upgraded? I have been looking on CL for a machines this one is priced at $5000 I don't want to spend that much on a machine that needs to be upgraded. Here are a couple machines I have been looking at.

Being new to this type equipment I really don't know what I am looking at as far as controls are concerned.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/2637896614.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/2625675631.html

Mike

A friend of mine was looking at the comet too. In general, Mitsubishi stuff is very good. Great support. As long as the control works there is no need to upgrade, and then, what would be an upgrade. Mach or Emc is not.

Mazak have traditionally used Mitsubishi controls in their machines and the 50 & 500 are nice basic controllers.
    As an integrator, I have found Mitsubishi excellent for support, repairs and parts, far better than Fanuc, who never seemed interested unless you were a MTB or OEM.
    Max.

I talked to a machinery dealer today who is going to come by my shop to look at the parts I want to make and give me some advise. They have some used Proto Trak mills for sale that they took in trade that they want $16,500 for what do think about that?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/2647900195.html

On the positive side for the Proto Trak I like the way the spindle is configured for 3 axis the Z raises on the column but you can still run the Z by hand that would allow me to get rid of my manual mill which would raise a portion of the cost of the new machine.

I have been seriously looking at the Tormach machines because I am new to this type machine work and they seem to have decent tech support and parts availability plus an active user forum. Getting a new machine eases my mind knowing it has warranty and should work properly.

Learning a new machine plus not knowing if it is working properly or if I am using it correctly when problems arise I think will make trouble shooting problems harder. I am really confused at this point as to what to buy the good thing is I am not in a hurry. The Proto Trak has a much bigger work envelope and is probably a much better machine but not knowing how much use it has seen makes me worry like buying a used car.

I am trying to figure out is it better to have a used $30K machine or a brand new $16K machine the cost is about the same. On the plus side for the Tormach it would fit in the shop easier and the electrical requirements are already met I could just plug it in.

Mike

I would get the prototrak anyday over the tormach. Servo, good spindle taper, and a real control. You wont regret it.

Machine dealer came by today the picture in the link I posted is a new machine and not the one he priced for me. The one in the picture with some tooling is $45k. That is way more than I plan to spend and so I am looking again seems the Mighty Comet sold before I could go check it out.

Mike