Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Working with an audience

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl
    I don't even like to tie my shoes with anyone watching. ...afraid I'll tie them together.

Whatever I'm doing, if wife, or girlfriend, stops to watch I simply stop and take a break.
    I'm with Lynnl on this one as well.
    But if my wife and my girlfriend enter the shop...well I'm just glad I've got a back door.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

I had an audience constantly for 16 years in the museum. You get used to it. But,I must say,it's easier to sew leather or weave a basket than to do marquetry,or make a violin with people watching.

It's a fear
    The fear of making a mistake
    The fear of ridicule ( for the mistake)
    This is complicated , as most of us pride ourselves on not making mistakes.
    Develop a sense of humor about your abilites and maybe that will help.

If we laugh at our errors, it lowers the pschological pressure on us and onlookers generally accept that, without judgement of your skills, as they are having you do it because they can't !
    They may laugh with you, but secretly they are glad it wasn't them !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Carlstedt
    It's a fear
    The fear of making a mistake
    The fear of ridicule ( for the mistake)
    I'm sure that's it for some people, but others of us are introverts. We need to be alone to think and focus.

I don't mind unless they won't shut up or get in the way.

The one thing that will earn a wrench across the teeth though is idle whistling,irritates me no end
    I just need one more tool,just one!

There's a simple way around this problem.
    When you get the vibe that they want to hang-out or watch you work, just
    tell them that you're really busy right now, and booked solid for the next couple of days.
    "Leave the part/project with me, and I'll get on it A.S.A.P."
    After they shuffle off, you can work in peace.

I have worked with an audience nearly all my life. 23 years at Xerox with people standing watching and drumming their fingers. My favorite are the ones that come in and ask "Can I make just one copy" when I have large assemblies taken apart on a drop cloth on the floor. I say "Sure, go right ahead" with a straight face. It usually then dawns on them how stupid a question it was.

My real favorites are the ones that ask "How does it work?" I then start with "The process is called Xerography and is based on electrostatic attraction of a dry powder to a charged light sensitive surface." If their eyes immediately glaze over I switch to the basic "It's FM (effing magic) explanation. Otherwise I give them the basic tour.

It has never bothered me at all to have an audience as long as they keep their fingers out of the way. I like teaching and spent 5 years teaching adults basic computer programming in night school back in the early 80s. I developed the curriculum which was accepted as a credit course by the college. I also taught teenagers (Sea Cadets) seamanship and weapons handling/marksmanship for about 6 years in the 90s. During the time with Xerox a major part of my job was to teach technologically illiterate people, mostly females, how to operate high technical equipment without making them feel stupid.

I learned a lot from my father who was a science teach in middle school in Berkeley. He was a truly excellent teacher and I would assist him during his summer school classes. In high school I spent 3 years in vocational electronics and in years two and three I was teaching assistant for the previous year.

During the 9 years I ran my computer store I specialized in selling older people their first computer. Along with that was instruction on how to use it for all the basic things they wanted to do.

It was my plan that when I retired I would help out in the high school machine shop. I know the teacher and he was all for it. About the time I closed my business the School District was informed by their insurance company that their policy would not permit anyone other than students and the instructor to so much as touch any of the machine tools.

The truly stupid thing about that was that during the time I had my computer business open I helped about 20 students graduate by allowing them to work in my store to fulfill their work experience training requirement. I even have a certificate of appreciation from the district. Their insurance covers the kids in my shop but I can't help out in their shop.

I have plans to start a course next year in using SketchUp for basic planning of things like garden layout or rearranging furniture. It will be through our Elder College program.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I don't like people looking over my shoulder either. It's a distraction to me and I don't like to have to explain every thing I do, or explain why something didn't work.

JL..................

When I was 18-19 I worked part time for a nice man at a shop that made/repaired venetian blinds and sold various other window coverings. A lot of what I did was cleaning/reparing venetian blinds.

He had a rule, (I don't remember the numbers any longer but making some up) repair a blind $5, if you want to watch it's $10, if you want to help it's $20. Was kind of a joke, we never told customers but we both felt that way.

Jeff

I'd prefer to deal with as few distractions as possible. The constant thoughts in my head on all sorts of things is enough audience for me.

Clutch