Thread: Where To Buy Small Diameter Titanium Rod?

Default Where To Buy Small Diameter Titanium Rod?

I'm trying to find a source of small diameter titanium rods where I can purchase just a few feet at a time. I want to make a few main shafts, and perhaps also a few feathering spindles for my RC helicopters.

What I am looking for is titanium alloy 6Al-4V (grade 5) in 1.5, 2, 2.5, & 3mm sizes. I need for the material to be straight, ground to an accurate size, and have a smooth finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Ed

Default rod

I have had good luck getting titanium rods from ebay

Do you need 6Al-4V grade 5 specifically?

McMaster Carr sells 1/8" diameter 6Al-4V rod down to 1/8" and sells grade 2 commercially pure wire from .025" - 1/8".

Amazon has a huge selection of 6Al-4V wire diameters but most are grade 23 ELI.

edit - Sorry I missed the straight part. That will rule out the wire.

I've had pretty good luck going the Ebay rout. Though most of what I saw was in fractional inch sizes. Some of the 6Al-4V "welding rods" that I got off Ebay seemed quite hard and were straight and smooth.

McMaster Carr does offer titanium in that general size range as well as titanium hex keys in that size range though you'll need a NASA budget.

I'm guessing every gram counts when you're dealing with remote controlled helicopters but do they need to be titanium? Could you use carbon fiber or really tough steel--either spring temper or drill rod?

I'd love to find a new inexpensive source of titanium rod.

Good luck!

www.smallpartsinc.com may have it. They do have small-diameter stainless steel hypodermic tubing, which because it is hollow might be almost as light as titanium, possibly lighter.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Small Parts Inc, is different from Small Parts which, I believe, you were thinking of. They are no longer with us. The name was bought by amazon and when you search for steel balls on their site you get listings with trailer hitches.

http://www.titaniumjoe.com is a good place to get Ti. And even OnlineMetals stocks some.

Oops -- yes, I meant www.smallparts.com . Whatever they are, they still sell small-diameteter stainless steel tubing.

I do note, however, that they are suddenly selling a lot of things they never used to, like office supplies. I guess that is what a takeover does to you.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.