Thread: OT - Computer Assistance with CD Drive

Default OT - Computer Assistance with CD Drive

My wife has an IBM ThinkPad computer running Windows XP. The problem she has encountered is the CD drive does not realize that a disk has been put in it. The CD drive is a TEAC CD-224E. When the device icon is clicked with a CD in the drive, is says, "Insert Disk, No Disk is present."

Also, it is very hard to open, it takes about 15 or 20 clicks on the drive open button before it pops open. Other times it won't open at all. I've looked to reinstall the driver but several sites I looked at said that Windows XP has the drivers built into its software and are not needed.

I need to have VERY SIMPLE instructions as my signature block says it very well!

Would appreciate any assistance.
    Last edited by BigBoy1; 10-24-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Simple instruction:

Locate CD drive model number
    Buy another on Ebay for Less than $10.

Heck, may as well upgrade to a writer model for maybe $20...

Those older Thinkpads also had modular bays with a quick-eject mechanism (that pops-out the whole CD drive). You might try popping-out the CD drive and cleaning the contacts on the bayonet connector.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53
    Simple instruction:

Locate CD drive model number
    Buy another on Ebay for Less than $10.

Heck, may as well upgrade to a writer model for maybe $20...

Ditto!!!!!
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

The CD player is probably having some poor switch contact issues- this isn't uncommon. The loading sled has sensor switches to say when it's retracted and when it's open. You don't fix things like that anymore- in fact you probably don't even clean the lens anymore. Just replace the whole mechanism, cheaper that it could be fixed- if it was possible to fix it reliably anyway- that's a long shot.

Recycle it- the steel goes in one bin, circuit boards in another, plastic parts in another bin, ferrite parts in yet another, rubber in another- you probably got a whopping 3.5 ounces of materials there

Default Thanks fir the help

I guess our "throw-away" strikes again. I'll try to get a replacement drive and put it in. Its not like machining a new brass bearing to replace a worn one!
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

When you are having trouble opening a CD drive, got to "my computer," right click on it, click on "eject." If that is still sticky, you have a problem that is easiest and cheapest to fix by replacement. If that works reliably, then use a bobby pin to push the lever until you get around to replacing the unit.

Those units are too difficult to work on to make it practical in a practical sense. Even I don't work on my own units.

Pops