Thread: Turret lathe tooling I saw on the HSM

Default Turret lathe tooling I saw on the HSM

Someone on the HSM has a turret lathe that I totally envy. But that isn't the point. The point is that there was a thread that demonstrated the efficiency of the turret lathe. One of the tools demonstrated would turn a rod down to a specific diameter. I seem to recall the tool was a tube (which served as follower rest, for all intents) and a cutter. The cutter was positioned at the entry point of the tube. The stock would be turned down and then fit into the tube as the tool advanced.

I'd like more info on the first tool. I don't have a turret lathe but I have a need...

Default Box Tool

I think what you are describing is a box tool. It has a cutter on the operator side and a v block or rollers opposite to support the workpiece as it goes, similar to a traveling steady or follow rest. There is another tool that will do the same thing called a hollow mill, but it is normally used on a milling machine to size a post sticking up, often on a casting.
    Last edited by Toolguy; 10-27-2011 at 09:47 PM.

The box tool will work, also a hollow mill will serve the same purpose.

This one is adjustable, solid styles are also available;

http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/MillingTools/M033.asp
    Jim H.

I believe you are talking about a box tool.

Here's a thread that I found in a quick search where Doc describes a few tools for turret lathes: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=49901

Andrew

Darn....beat me to it...

Andrew

Hi JC! I didn't see your post, I guess we were typing at the same time. Good idea!

Here's Frank Ford making thumb screws on his turret lathe using a variation of a hollow mill. They can be made from drill rod in the shop, there have been a couple of articles on them in the magazines. Not too hard to do especially if machining brass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr4aN23XGz0
    Jim H.

For another neat one by Frank Ford, for use on a regular lathe, go to Frets dot com and look under tooling for "There's a Midget Following Me".
    Jim