I want to mount my spin index to my lathe. Would you guys adapt the spin index so it sits right on the cross-slide, or would you put it on the compound swivel?
Advantages of mounting to the cross-slide:
2. more rigid
1. Advance spin index using the carriage hand wheel. Not very precise and can't lock carriage.
2. Will have to implement some mechanism of revolving the spin index since I do want to be able to drill into the face or edge of the stock.
Advantages of mounting it to the compound swivel:
1. I can swivel the spin index, though I think 0 and 90 would be about I'll I'd use. But you never know.
2. I can add a screw and advance the spin index like the cross slide. This would be a lot nicer than having the move the carriage.
1. more complex to make
2. will have to modify the spin index so it has room for the compound screw and bearings, etc. Adding a handle could be tricky since the drawbar may be in the way.