Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel for Cary Safe

Default Wheel for Cary Safe

My father has a Cary Safe that my brother would like to have. In trying to move it one of the wheels has broken. Below is a picture of the wheel and the break. Would anyone hazard a guess as to the material?

I'd like to make a replacement, I coule make one from aluminum fairly easily but I'd like to make something closer to the actual part. Any ideas what I should/could use, that won't cost a fortune to get? It appears to be a casting, I can see the seperation line.

I have a Logan 11" x 36" lathe and a Millrite milling machine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Almost certainly cast iron, from the break.... and the fact of it being older.

CI may not be the best material, as you discovered, but if you want a period type replacement, it is available, in a pretty good type, as "Durabar".

I assumed the same.

I knew the safe was old but had not idea how old. I looked tonight and Cary went out of business in 1929. Dad used it in his roofing business for at least 30 years. He can't remember where or how he got it but I think he's had it at least sinc the mid '60s. It's in fairly good shape except for the broken wheel.

Anyone know where to buy Dura-Bar in small quantities on line?

Jeff

Since you are probably not going to duplicate the look of the old wheel, it most likely being a casting, I would make the replacement out of steel. It would be less likely to break.
    Don Young

There are casters with cast iron wheels. If you can find a size that matches, it would be an easy way to replace the broken wheel.

Glenn

Default cast wheel material

You might find a cheap piece of cast iron at a Big 5 store or Walmart
    in the sports dept as part of a weight set.

Jim

If I go with steel something like 1018 be ok? I don't suppose it will get a lot of punishment.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I was going to suggest exactly what Jim said. I bought some weights from Wallmart and found them easy enough to machine- no surprises. That may not always be the case though, so you would have to be prepared to lose a cutter, some time, and the cost of the 'blank'. The five pound weights were just about right for me, but you can buy 2 lb, 5 lb, 10 lb-

An automotive machinist buddy tried "weight" cast iron for two projects. One was a big scale weight and the other a weight from a lamp base. Both had crap in them that would destroy carbide cutters. I'm sure some is fine but who wants to find out?

The wheel looks very much like the ones on "pry bar dollies". We called them Johnson Bars at work. They have 2 cast iron wheels and 5' or 6' long oak handles,and a thick "shovel" on their leading edge . You can slip the 1/2" thick,tapered shovel under the edge of something,and lit a max. of 5000#.

MSC sells them. I have 2. You could probably get a spare wheel for one and sleeve the hole.