Thread: Enco turret lathe that needs a few parts

Default Enco turret lathe that needs a few parts

I'm told it's a Chinese approximation of the Hardinge DV-59. It's a surprisingly stout little machine and runs quite well, but it needs a few parts. Is there any chance at all of finding parts for Enco turret lathes, or do I need to make everything? I don't see Enco carrying any turret lathes at all anymore, and the Chinese connections I found don't respond to email. Originally it came with two toolposts, and from what I can tell they were not the same. I have one toolpost and am looking for the other. I am also looking for whatever turret tooling I can find with 3/4" shanks.
    This lathe appeared in a variety of incarnations, seemingly made by different manufacturers (Rong-Fu?), with only minor cosmetic differences.

For turret tooling look under ,"screw machine" tooling. Beware there is a lot of beat up crap out there.
    As far as tool posts go. You're a machinist. Make one.

Well, I wouldn't call myself a machinist, more of a tinkerer, but yes I could make this stuff myself. However, the tool posts and the risers they sit on are sizable chunks of steel and even the raw materials aren't cheap. My first choice there would be to try and find a decent used one. If not, then I'm forced to make them.

Update ..... I found a machine just like mine in a MSC catalog of all places! Well, not exactly the same, there were a few minor cosmetic differences but it even used the same model number as my old Enco. Turns out the internal parts are identical, so I was actually able to get new internal bits & pieces for a Chinese machine made in the '80's, .... from the manufacturer! This has to be a first. Gathered tooling from wherever I could, the turret & spindle are now stuffed with holders from B&S, Somma, Hardinge, etc., and many of the sloppy fasteners have been replaced with good stuff. I use cutting oil, not water soluble oil. The thing cuts like butter. No, it's not a Hardinge, but it's a sweet little turret now.
    My only complaint is the design of the stop screws in the turret .... there's a casting protrusion internal to the turret slide that "the wrong" stop screw can bottom against before the intended stop screw reaches it's target, especially if the two stop screws differ in depth by more than about 2 inches. Gotta watch that. Someday I'll pull it apart and bore a hole in that casting so the stop screws don't bottom out on it.