Thread: Bridgeport Series I CNC Interface Issues

Hybrid View

Default Bridgeport Series I CNC Interface Issues

My son recently purchased a Bridgeport Series I CNC with the BOSS 4.0 operating system. The system works fine using the Operator's Main Control Panel. The system includes a ERS CCA that provides an RS-232 interface. This interface was not functional and troubleshooting revealed that the interface line driver and line receiver chips had been blown (probably caused by inadequate grounding between the CNC and computer). I replaced the defective chips (IC4 and IC9) taking the appropriate precautions for static sensitive devices. After replacement of the chips, I performed continuity testing to verify that all connections were intact and that there were no shorts.
    I provided a good ground between the CNC and external computer, and installed the repaired ERS CCA. With power applied, the N,F,S,T, Run, GOTO, Hold, and Wait indicators are illuminated and the machine will not operate at all even from the Operator's Main Control Panel. The machine is locked up and I have been unable to clear this condition using the Restart control or the Reset/Clear switch on the Special Operations Panel. Does anyone know what the indicators mean and/or have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks for your support.
    Rick Lindquist

Rick, I see that this is your first post; Welcome aboard.

Unfortunately I don't have the background to address your problem, at all.

However, I would suggest you post this also on the "General" section, where it is sure to get more visibility.
    Not to say this isn't an appropriate place to post it, but the simple fact is the "General" section gets far more exposure, so it's likely to be seen sooner there.

Good luck.
    Lynn

Thanks, Lynn for the advice. I have posted this problem in the General section.

Check that the upper limit switch on the z axis is not tripped.
    Rotate the drive by hand in the downward position and listen for a click.
    Then retry to see if anything works.