Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Lathe?

Default Homemade Lathe?

Hi Folks,

To append to a decent list of unfinished projects, I have now got that”itch” to try my hands at a small homemade lathe. But this time I want to lay my hands on as much lathe plans as possible before I pick up the first piece of scrap metal.

I have come across the following material already.

1. http://www.vintageprojects.com/lathe-milling-plans.html
    2. http://www.metalwebnews.org/mr-tools...ng%20lathe.pdf
    3. The Metal Lathe - Build Your Own Metalworking Shop From Scrap - Gingery
    4. Building a Small Lathe – L C Mason
    5. How to Make an 8-inch Bench Lathe in the School Shop - South Bend Co
    6. Lathe Work for Beginners - R F Yates
    7. Small Lathes, Making & Using – Cassells “Work” Handbook
    8. Kleindrehmaschine im Eigenbau by Juergen Eichardt

(From the description I got, the last book is the most impressive. But “Learning German to read a book” is not the kind of project I want to add to the list right now).

Other than the above, I have come across many personal sites that describe their lathe builds but obviously, no plans incorporated.

Could somebody add any stuff that I have missed on the subject? Your advice on this is much appreciated.

Thanking you with best wishes,

Use Google's translator to translate the German book. It will probably be close enough once you learn machinist vocabulary if you don't know it already.

I certainly have to admire anyone who has attempted and completed this project.

Don,t have the complete link , but Google "Tony's lathes" , there are a few posted there that are pretty nice work.

Default Homemade Lathe

Thanks for your prompt replies.
    Yes Tony, I thought of the Google Translator option. But no digital version of that German book is available and typing in the whole thing is prohibitive.

sasquatch, are you referring to Tony Griffith’s site www.lathes.co.uk ?
    Yes, it is an encyclopaedia for lathes, but as I said, the tiny section on homemade lathes in that does not have any plans as such.
    Any idea on such plans ?

Have you considered the Multimachine?

It's supposed to be a machine that can be built by anyone who has access to old car parts. The pans can be found at the link below.

http://opensourcemachine.org/

I think it's a waste of time to build a lathe if it's just a copy of the currently available commercial machines. Something like this, http://stepperhead.blogspot.com/, however, would be interesting to build and use.

Default wasting time?

Gee, I am glad I wasted my time making this one . It has proved to be quite useful over the years. Granted I did not make several of the main components but making the head stock from a 5C spin collet fixture was a great learning experience.

Some of the older issues of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics (40s and 50s) had home made lathes in them. Perhaps a bit crude but there are some interesting ideas.

gordon

[

There's also quite a bit of really good information about building a lathe in the older Model Engineer magazines. I don't have the exact issue numbers though.

Pete

The Kleindrehmaschine im Eigenbau is about building a watchmakers lathe. It is very similar to a Unimat and is only suitable for very small and light work.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here