Thread: It's cold, back in the shop finally, wanted to say hello.

Default It's cold, back in the shop finally, wanted to say hello.

Just wanted to say hello again to everyone. It's finally cold in North Carolina (although it's supposed to be 70 today). I'm back in the shop after a spring, summer, and fall off doing all the other things I'm always behind on. 70 or not I'm getting some stuff done during the Thanksgiving break. I have a bunch of presents from the UPS man Wednesday and today is the day to get all the new doo dads installed, including an X axis Servo for my Bridgeport.

This winter it's time to build a log splitter/processor, two sinks for the Mrs., a hydraulic press, rework a skid steer that desperately needs it, build a new cattle barn, overhaul a head gate for said barn, and drop, top, and split about 8-10 cords of wood. Assuming any or all of that gets done, I have a shaper to restore and some knives to make. I don't even know what dumb questions I'll be asking yet, but I'm sure I'll be around annoying my elders, at least till spring when it's time to plant. Glad to be back and looking forward to the interaction.
    Dan from Raleigh, NC

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

Welcome back Dan,, geez are you sure you posted all the projects to be done??
    I see only one for the missus, usually there is quite a long "Honey-do" list.

If you can get away with only that one your'e very lucky!!

Well, it is good to see that you are not IDLE! Without SOMETHING to do, you would be out on the streets at night or down in the pool hall smokin and drinkin beer, and we all know where THAT can lead!
    What in Heaven's name do you need with 8 cords of wood? Here in the Ottawa Valley, I heated a 2000 sq ft house with a bit over 3 cords. Here in the Ottawa Valley it is a TAD colder for a while longer.
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Welcome back. What do you do with your spare time????
    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

I'm heating about 13,000 sq feet in total in three different buildings/zones. My shop, my home office, my home, and my domestic hot water all all wood heat. Plus I'm a glutton for punishment. If I just cut the trees that I ought to have done something about over the years I should have enough wood for 10 years of burning. And since I really ought to do something about that leaner/view blocker/dead/dying tree I may as well burn it and get some heat. It all makes sense in my head, don't go bothering me with your logic!

Honey do lists are never ending and not particularly interesting projects most times. Didn't figure you guys would want those boring details. The sinks are the only cool thing I'm doing. Laminated maple blocks, bored and hollowed out on the mill. I did a test one about 6 months ago to see if it would work in the real world and it did just fine. Heck the wife is even happy, except for the delay in getting the two final ones built.

"But Honey, you made me promise I wouldn't stay in the shop so much. I said I'd only go in there during the winter and golly, it's not winter yet. I'm just doing what you said."

Boy they sure hate logic when it's used against them. At least the projects keep me busy since I'm kicked out of the bedroom!
    Dan from Raleigh, NC

Mr Dan,
    Trust you all have had a good Thanksgiving, as I will be in the Raleigh area next week with about half a day to spare, wondering if there are any machine tooling stores (new or second hand items) that are worth a visit so I can try and fill up any spare space in my suitcase. Thanks.

I feel like a terrible host but I don't know anywhere I'd send you. I've been scrounging all my stuff from Craigslist and buying from Enco and McMaster. I've done bupkiss to shop locally. I know, I'm a bad person.

If I can't help with your tool addiction, maybe I can steer you towards some local food. What day are you free? I'll buy you lunch if I'm around.
    Dan from Raleigh, NC

Mr Dan, no problem, I will send a PM as I'm just off now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDan
    "But Honey, you made me promise I wouldn't stay in the shop so much. I said I'd only go in there during the winter and golly, it's not winter yet. I'm just doing what you said."
    My honey rather have me at home in my shop on my days off as opposed to running around spending up money hitting the sports bars losing money on the golf course and flirting with short skirts

"Honey look what I made today" as opposed to "The green fees were $75 and no thats not perfume you smell on me"

Rosco-P Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Oz
    Mr Dan,
    Trust you all have had a good Thanksgiving, as I will be in the Raleigh area next week with about half a day to spare, wondering if there are any machine tooling stores (new or second hand items) that are worth a visit so I can try and fill up any spare space in my suitcase. Thanks.
    Try some pawn shops. Look in the phone co. yellow page listings, depending on the business/industry of the local area, some will resell tools that the owners have sold them outright or took a loan on and failed to pay back. Occasional gems can be found.