Thread: Lube/Oil equivalents (chart)

Default Lube/Oil equivalents (chart)

Found a chart listing a great many oil equivalents for those who may be interested.
    Don't know what it's worth so use at own risk.

Here's the link:
    http://perkinsproducts.com/PDFs/Guid...Lubricants.pdf

Great chart, I have a paper copy of one from the same "Plant Engineering Magazine" from the early 1980's.

Strange, and perhaps I missed it, but I couldn't seem to find Mobil Vactra #2, #4, or Vacoline 1405 or 1409 on the chart anywhere.

Default Nope!

Jut rechecked, couldn't find it either. But I did find a brand I can easily get up here in Canada (finally!).

Speaking of oil, I have a drum of concrete form oil which is mineral oil & the same oil used in skywriting & areobatics. Does this have any use in machining? It's supposed be great for resting rust. I bought it to pickle aircraft engines & was using hyd fluid before I bought this. I know we use straight mineral oil to break in engines & in antique engines with no filter. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks! Eric
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

Nice chart, not all inclusive but useful never the less. It at least opens the door to a few more choices that one can cross reference if need be.
    Thanks!

Flylo, other than using this form oil/skywriting oil cocktail for anything critical, if it were me I would use it for an application that is not liable to cause any serious grief or money lose. Without knowing the exact pedigree we can only speculate about it's use. Use it for an anti rust preventative or some such non critical application.

Knowing how much smoke the sky writing oil puts out I doubt you would want to use it as a cutting oil.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.