Thread: Welding Opinions Please

Default Welding Opinions Please

My welding ability sucks and I know very little about it. I understand the different processes and would like to get into welding. I have come across this machine http://www.multiplaz.com/about and it looks good to me but them I know very little. It looks good because it doesn't need the bottle gases for the aluminum welding and does plasma cutting to boot.

Before I put any money down for a welding machine, I'd like to get opinions about this machine from people who know and understand welding machines. Thanks.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electrically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

BigBoy1,
    I think that the old saying " If it sounds too good to be true, It probably is"
    applies here.
    I haven't seen or read ANY reviews or comments in any of the trade
    magazines as the shops that are written about are using the normal
    processes that have been proven over time.

If you are indeed serious about this unit I would say you need to at the
    very least talk to 5-6 people that own one, Or better yet arrange to test
    drive one. This is most likely your best bet. This way you will know if your
    money stays in your pocket or goes elsewhere.

Hope this is of some help. Have a great week.
    JIM : You don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

There are tons of multipurpose welding machines on the market now, and I don't think any of them have much of a track record. In time they they may actually work out as advertised, but until they do, I would " stick" with the tried and true. If you in fact want a good multifunction machine, then look towards Miller or Lincoln, but you aren't going to get one of those for the price of a decent single function machine unless its used.

The competition among the various good manufacturers is such that there isn't much wiggle room for great deals, these imports are claiming the impossible in my opinion.

rollin'

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy1
    My welding ability sucks and I know very little about it. I understand the different processes and would like to get into welding. I have come across this machine http://www.multiplaz.com/about and it looks good to me but them I know very little. It looks good because it doesn't need the bottle gases for the aluminum welding and does plasma cutting to boot.

Before I put any money down for a welding machine, I'd like to get opinions about this machine from people who know and understand welding machines. Thanks.
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...524-multi-plaz

there are 9 pages of posts --- read them all.

that said
    the machine(s) you get really depend on the kind of welding you
    expect to do.

frank

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

Just got off their website. Looked at some videos and listened to the commentary. LOTS of voltage. I am not comfortable with casually using 210 volts to cut with and 180 volts to weld with. Many life threatening things can go wrong with voltages of that level.
    Think "wet gloves"
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Default Comments

Thanks for the inputs. As mentioned. the best thing is to try the machine. However, they are in CA and I'm on the east coast. I'll call the company to find if any have been sold on the east coast so I can perhaps go and look at one.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electrically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

gnm109 Guest

I don't really see the need for a multi-purpose machine. I have a Miller Syncrowave 200 that does TIG and Stick and I have a Lincoln SP 175 Plus that does MIG. I also have an oxygen-acetylene set. Each one does specific things that are separate from the others. I added a machine at a time over many years and slowly built my skills so that I can make use of each type of machine.

Beyond that, there's the issue of support and parts if needed. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart and Victor are the names I'm comfortable with. I always wonder about these multi machines whose names I don't recognize.

Just my opinion,
    Last edited by gnm109; 12-11-2011 at 09:01 AM.

the sub-tropical island of Anglesey, North Wales

Default STEAM powered welding !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy1

Hi big boy - you need to go on this site
    http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

good forum + excellent tutorials on mig / tig / arc

That "machine" - too good to be true IMHO
    John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Always go to a dealer that has a demo machine for you to try and try as many machines that is in the size range that you are looking at, what put me off in the add was they did not show any welds. I would also suggest going to a well known brands like Miller, Hobart, Lincoln look at what local shops use and what is handy to you for consumables and spare parts I haven't used any spare parts for my miller in 20 years I bought the small thytronic tig / stick welder because it was cheep enough at the time and that wouldn't have needed spare parts if I had obeyed the duty cycle first rule in buying never rush unless you know the product and value