Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Bit Sharpener and What is it?

Default Drill Bit Sharpener and What is it?

Got this drill bit sharpener for a song in a garage sale and cannot figure out how to set it up.
    January/February 2003 issue (volume 21, number 1) of The Home Shop Machinist featured a review/instructions by David O'Neil that I cannot make much sense of it as it is incomplete by my count.
    Does someone have the full instructions or can give a clear description of the step s for set up?

Also with the sharpener came another part I thought at the beginning it was part of the set, but cannot figure out what it is or how to use that. Probably incomplete and part of something else?

Two more pictures for this last item are with next thread.
    Thanks, Wilson

http://pics.woodstockint.com/manuals/d4144_m.pdf

I have used them... Never was good with one... Guess that is why mine is still in my tool box.

and you still have to split the point or thin the web by hand.
    Last edited by huntinguy; 12-11-2011 at 07:46 PM.

What all of the instructions do not tell you is that the "stickout" of the drill and the distance from the wheel to the base are critical in getting the proper drill angles and they vary with the size and degree of twist on the drill. This is because they control the rotational position of the drill while sharpening. It seems to me like I had the best results by setting the sharp tip of the web horizontal or the cutting edges vertical but I am not sure. If you get the drill set right, it will do a satisfactory job but you will probably not get it right the first few times. Somewhere on the web there is a photo of one of these with a sliding base to control the distance to the wheel.

The side of a normal wheel is far from ideal for drill sharpening, particularly since there is no easy way to dress it to keep it true. Most of these are not built to hold small drills very accurately. You should start with fairly large drills with enough of a good factory point to learn how to set it and observe how it is grinding. Be sure the pivot works smoothly without wobble and the drill is held snugly so it cannot move during grinding. You must use the lip guide and the length adjuster to be sure you rotate the drill exactly 180 degrees when changing cutting edges.
    Last edited by Don Young; 12-11-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Don Young

try this link to abe books. tool and cutter sharpener by harold hall. 5 GB pounds.gives good info on this unit.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...6n%3D100121501
    hope this is readable, new to this.Ed

Thanks to Bruce for the manual, got now all I need.
    Thanks also for the tips above, I can use all them.
    Wilson

I use mine with a 1 X 30" belt sander, with decent results on 3\16", or so, bits.

Have found it helps to keep that swing pivot a bit on the loose side so you can apply a bit of extra pressure to the bit when it comes around to the relief side of the face.

It takes a bit of fiddling to get it all positioned properly, I save that job for when I am really in the mood for bit sharpening.............not that often.

Can be frustrating, but worthwhile in the end.

Default The PDF instructions

Quote Originally Posted by huntinguy

Thanks, I guess that I also realized there is a way to post PDF's files in this board. I will just need to find out how.

I had always sharpened by hand...but with age I think I take any help I can get specially for the small bit that I have a hard time focusing on the detail.

Thanks, Wilson

I have one of those and find it more usefull on 1/2" and larger drills. I use it on a 2x72 belt sander. It allways takes me a while to get it set up and working again. The magazine article has some information on mods to use larger drills. I use the Drill Dr for smaller drills.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Boucher
    I have one of those and find it more useful on 1/2" and larger drills. I use it on a 2x72 belt sander. It always takes me a while to get it set up and working again. The magazine article has some information on mods to use larger drills. I use the Drill Dr for smaller drills.
    Hi neighbor, what is the Drill Dr. ?????

(I am in Round Rock)

Wilson

Default The stickout of the drill.....

Quote Originally Posted by Don Young
    What all of the instructions do not tell you is that the "stickout" of the drill and the distance from the wheel to the base are critical .............

DOn: I guess that I am slow because it took for me to see the picture and really see the importance of your statement...but very important.
    Thanks bunch.....Wilson