Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30-30 single shot load

Default 30-30 single shot load

I have a Savage 30-30 over 20Ga combo gun. Great for the type of hunting I do--Deer with shots at ducks/squirrels/rabbits depending on season. In the woods and brush this is great. Only problem is the accuracy/ballistics of the 30-30 on longer ranges is not up to what I would like. I can improve the sights but bullets with better ballistics are typically for 30-06 or .308 and don't shoot well at all. The best accuracy came from lead bullets with a gas check but the limited powder charge for these limits me to under 150 yards for a clean kill on deer. I'm also running out of those bullets! I'd like to get out to 200-250 yards. The lead bullets had sufficient accuracy out to 200 yards if I had a good rest off a tree or shot sitting down or prone.

Any suggestions on making a better load for this gun? Haven't tried the rubber tipped (Leverloution?) bullets yet but thought I should be able to work up something that would use one of the more common .308 diameter bullets.

ArkTinkerer

I have a savage 340 30-30 bolt action and a 12" contender pistol barrel in 30-30. Look at the Nosler 125 Ballistic Tip and the Sierra 125 HP. I have killed deer with both. I use IMR3031 powder.

I would give a strong second to that recommendation. The Nossler will give better performance after it slows down at 250 yards from a 30-30.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

You don't have a super strong action, so you'll need to keep loads in the same pressure range as standard lever action 30-30 rifles need. That being the case, take a look at bullets in the 150 to 165 gr. range, not the light varmint bullets, but those intended for cartridges in the .300 Savage listings. Loading data that will give you around 2250 feet per second with flat or round nose 150 gr. bullets should give about 2400 with pointy ones.

David
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

I tried a jacketed hpbt of about 168 grain if I recall--that was 3 years ago, but the spread was about 12" at 100 yards! It was clear that some of the bullets were tumbling. Miserable. Even regular lead bullets were not very satisfactory. The commercial 30-30 loads were about 6". The gas checked lead bullets (I think they are 170 grain) were inside 3" at 100yds and 8" at 200 yards but it was a relatively mild load. Over 24" drop at 200 yards.
    Last edited by ArkTinkerer; 12-12-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer
    I tried a jacketed hpbt of about 168 grain if I recall--that was 3 years ago, but the spread was about 12" at 100 yards! It was clear that some of the bullets were tumbling. Miserable. Even regular lead bullets were not very satisfactory. The commercial 30-30 loads were about 6". The gas checked lead bullets (I think they are 170 grain) were inside 3" at 100yds and 8" at 200 yards but it was a relatively mild load. Over 24" drop at 200 yards.
    Tumbling can indicate insufficient velocity for the rifling twist. Since it's a single shot, you are not limited to flat point bullets - so I would try a 130-150 gr pill and see if that improves grouping.

May I suggest using the heaviest cast bullet that will stabilize if your savage.By heavy I mean like lymans 311299 or 314299. The longer heavier bullets retain their energies well over long distances over longer distances. You did not say what powders you are using but things will go better if a slower powder, I would try 3031 as a started or 4895. Frank
    Last edited by Frank46; 12-24-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Clark Guest

The 30-30 is registered with SAAMI at 42kpsi.

I got a Savage break action 219 for $130 at a gun show, that I could tell at a glance was way stronger than the brass.

I have been running 83kpsi loads, with W748 and 220 gr bullets. The brass is holding up, but I can't fit any more powder.

I can't see your Savage, it might be strong like mine, or weak like a Win 94.

No disrespect intended, Clark, but I sure hope your life insurance is paid up, running almost double the pressure that your rifle and cartridge combination is intended to take. If you need higher velocity in your 219, think about having it rechambered to 30-40 Krag AND keep to the loads in the manuals!

David
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

I fully agree with staying inside the ratings for standard loads. I don't generally run anywhere near the "hot" side of loads for any of my guns. I generally don't enjoy pushing any of my guns in that manner.

My thoughts on this originally were to go with a jacketed bullet but much better BC shape since I can run pointed bullets in this single shot and I do reload 30-06 as well. I was just appalled at how hard it was to get any handload to shoot well at all in this gun!

I have done most of my reloading in .243 Winchester as I have two rifles in that caliber. I have loaded from 50 grain to 100 grain bullets and while some loads are better than others none were truly bad and the rounds work about the same in either rifle.

Closest I've seen to this is trying to get good slug accuracy from a full choke .410 on the M6 Scout. At least there, I expect to have issues.

ArkTinkerer