Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FREE 3D "Scanner"

Default FREE 3D "Scanner"

Autodesk has added a "program" to thier 123D suite. Its called 123D create, and if you upload a bunch of pics of an object, it will turn it into a 3D model. I have played with it a little, and its fun, but im not so sure it will be practical yet for anything accurate.

http://www.123dapp.com/catch

Be just great if someone can show off their milling machine for sale on ebay or something ..could net you extra profit if the machine is as good as you say it is.

wont be great, if the gov start using it ..and in Orwellian times ahead, they use it to help catch the good guy rebels.

all the best.markj

I hate cloudware.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    I hate cloudware.
    +17,856.

Going thru the same problems at the moment, installing Alibre onto my computer that's been upgraded to W7.

When you come to run it it says you need to log on to the web site to get registration number, do that no problem, then it asks for your computers name which it has pre filled in and is correct, and a site number you generate from the web site.

OK all correct then it says "Sorry been used before, can't register" and goes back to page 1.

In my account details it lists 3 computers names [ I have 3 licences ] and the serial numbers which are still valid but until the program starts there is no way to enter these numbers.

I have the same problem with Dolphin CAD-CAM it needs to phone home every 3 or 4 days to check it's valid, The CNC machines we use at shows have various licensed pieces of software installed and they never go on the net so we run an old version.

The worst piece of software I have seen [ I think - never managed to get it running ] is Bob Warfields CNC calculator.
    To start with you have to install Adobe Air for it to run, like all Adobe virus's this then tries to take over the computer.

Eventually broke down and installed it on one machine, refused to run the install file. In all fairness Bob sent an install that told it where to go instead of Air looking for it, still couldn't find it. 5 days wasted and still didn't get installed.

All this for a program that you have to pay for on a yearly basis to keep current or anything you have spent is wasted ?

It's now took a fresh install to get this Adobe crap off the machine.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

You need to pirate a better grade of software.

To the exalted Sir John,
    one word.

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut
    You need to pirate a better grade of software.
    That's the really annoying thing, these are all pieces of licensed software.
    I don't mind admitting that in the past I have downloaded some hookey copies to use as demo's because I'm fed up of getting bitten.

I will only download a program if I'm interested in it and can afford to buy the full version.
    I would not download a hookey copy of Autocad or Solid Works because I cannot justify buying either of these.

Where you come unstuck is trying a piece of software, liking it and buying it and on the next upgrade they decide to go cloud registration or do something stupid like bring a new version out where all the old macro's won't work.

I know of one program, currently on V7 and all the diehards who use it for a living have bought V7 but reverted back to V6 because of upgrade issues.

Just checked my email and nothing from Alibre as yet, close to a day not counting time zones. Oh for stand alones.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

John,
    That bites big time.
    I gave up using Alibre a long time ago because in my situation all it did was crash and lock up.
    That is one thing Solidworks does not do. I have never run into a problem with not being able to open a file in a new version.
    But you do pay for it.
    In my case I am able to justify it. (at least in my own mind) if you flogged some of your never fricken ending line of CNC tool gloats you could buy a copy of SW ;-)
    YMMV

Dave

Well had an email off them tonight and they gave me a new serial number.

WTF ?

I already have three numbers but no way to enter them until I get off this stupid start up screen that goes round in an endless loop.

Getting ready to pull the plug on this POS, I like to be in control and not rely on an internet connection to some hick company in Redneck USA.

? What never fricken ending line of CNC's ? Only got 12 and they are that small you can see both ends of the line.

John,
    So this is your Advent CNC calendar?
    Its the 13th here so you are one behind.
    Get with it !!!!!

Dave