Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Block Project

I have used a few Adams and Bennett barres in the past with good results. Remember those are in the white.

Rolling block arrived today. Looks to be in really good shape.

Appears to be missing the extractor. Although what may be the extractor retaining screw is still there. I'll try to get it apart tomorrow and post some pictures.

The bore looks to be rifled, even though it was advertised as a shotgun. Admittedly I've never actually seen a damascus barrel but the bore looks to uniform to be one. Seems like very fine rifling.

Jeff

Some of the shotguns were made by drilling out rifles. Possibly some rifling remains? A Damascus barrel would not appear to be rifling, it would have the appearance of an Acme-ish screw thread as it is much tighter than rifling.

It originally had the sliding extractor which is relatively simple to make.
    Jim H.

The best pictures I can get of the "rifling":

In this picture you can see some of the color case hardening still there.

Jeff

The rifling is interesting. It looks like some sort of poly-groove. It there any twist to it? It is definitely not Damascus.
    Jim H.

I think there is a twist. I'll see if I have a bore brush close enough to measure it.

I was wrong. No twist. I pushed the tightest patch I could make down the bore and couldn't discern any twist or skipping over the grooves. With a flashlight I can see all the way to the breach and the grooves look straight down the entire 34".

Looks like the breach is plugged with either a brass or bronze plug. Once I get the barrel off I'll try to knock it out just for fun.

Looks like I'll have to make a new extractor retaining screw, oversized and retap the hole to match. The threads in the receiver are gone. Lucky I even got the screw. At least I have something to copy.

The trigger assembly has two pins in it (I'll have to take a picture). One is the trigger pin and I don't remember what the other is for, I think a spring. Any idea if they are just driven in an peened? One end of them looks like they might be screws with the heads filed off. I'd like to get it completely disassembled to try and blue the receiver.

Thanks for all of the information.

Jeff

With the receiver case hardened, you'll have to polish the action below the surface hardening to get a decent blue. Hot caustic blue will turn a mottled purple on case hardening, rust blue may not take evenly.

David
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

FYI

Historical and Experimental Investigations of the Pressure Characteristics of the 8x58 Rimmed Danish Cartridge..... as used in the 67-89 Swedish rolling block:
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/GB8x58RD.html

Bottom line: Norma of Sweden loaded the 8x58R Danish for use in the m/1867-89 rolling block to no more than 28,000 psi.

The Swedish m/1867-68 was built by Husqvarna. At the beginning of production they used Vee threads, later going to the conventional square threads. I was surprised but I had one in my possession.

I have a loose set for the 67-89

Dutch
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/rb.html
    Swedish Mausers & rolling blocks

That sir is a beautiful rifle.