Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbide insert chart

Default Carbide insert chart

People ask about inserts and other people answer them. They come, they go. but the need for information continues.

Here's the ANSI standard for carbide insert shapes and other specs.

http://www.ccpa.org/pdf/B212_4.pdf

This one dates from 1983. It's just a start to stimulate interest. I'm sure there are later versions or maybe a commercial catelog page that's more descripotive and comprehensive. Thene there is a non-US rest of the world. They have standrds too and when you buy from a world market you gotta be smart on all the world has to offer.

The goal here is to find and disseminate a carbide insert chart worth posting in the shop; one covering the world's standards in carbideinser data hopefully on a single page.

'
    'Anyone have a good link to non US carbide insert info?
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 12-23-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Default Carbide info.....

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Addy
    People ask about inserts and other people answer them. They come, they go. but the need for information continues.

Here's the ANSI standard for carbide insert shapes and other specs.

http://www.ccpa.org/pdf/B212_4.pdf

This one dates from 1983. It's just a start to stimulate interest. I'm sure there are later versions or maybe a commercial catalog page that's more descriptive and comprehensive. Then there is a non-US rest of the world. They have standards too and when you buy from a world market you gotta be smart on all the world has to offer.

The goal here is to find and disseminate a carbide insert chart worth posting in the shop; one covering the world's standards in carbide insert data hopefully on a single page.
    '
    'Anyone have a good link to non US carbide insert info?
    Forrest: Excellent info for me that I am trying to learn the carbide area.
    Are you aware of any place or book that would deal with what type of inserts to use for the different materials or situations?

I badly need a primer on this area with specific info on when to use what and maybe a little basic history, angles to set-up,etc.

I have been searching on these forums for hours without good results.

Thanks
    Last edited by WGonzalez2; 12-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.

I usually go to this chart. It has both ISO, as used by 95% of the world, and ANSI.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

I sometimes refer to that chart from Carbide Depot myself, though by now I've committed much of the info (including ANSI-ISO conversions) to memory.

What can't be "stored" is the myriad top form geometries, a.k.a. "chipbreakers". The specifics of that is all manufacturer-specific. There is not and there never will be any compendium of grades and chipbreakers. Each manufacturer develops new grades, coatings and chipbreakers every few months or year. For the home shop machinist, the differences are often indiscernible. For a commercial shop, the improvements can mean many thousands of dollars per year in savings.

In a home shop, the difference between this year's steel turning grade and last years can't be detected because it's rare that you make the same part twice, or even handle the same material twice. That's NOT to say you won't benefit from carbide insert tooling, it just means you need a more "universal" insert to attack the variety of materials and cutting parameters we encounter.

I actually enjoy this stuff. I like using carbide insert tooling, and I like using my resources to find what I need or to recognize a bargain. Google is my friend when I come across an insert I don't recognize. I've downloaded a LOT of PDF's from the various carbide insert makers and use them to figure out if I can use the product.

WGonzalez2, you can always ask me specific questions and I'll try to help. I won't discourage anyone from using either HSS or carbide insert tooling. Use whatever makes the most sense for you, your machines, your wallet and the value of your time.

I've downloaded a LOT of PDF's from the various carbide insert makers and use them to figure out if I can use the product
    +1, and don't underestimate them as sources of useful information...I'm very much in the learning process as well, have not used any yet, and little tidbits here and there certainly help, as has Pixman.
    Perhaps even more if, like me, you frequent EBay...the variations there are IMO certainly less than if you take all the makers and all the options esp if you limit yourself to "known" makers

+1 for Pixman.

Additionally, the recommended DOC range is very manf/insert specific. More and more I find myself looking for the lower min doc - For much of what I do I don't need to take 75 thou at a time.. even though I can. Taking way less than recommend just gives problems!

I scrouge name brand inserts from ebay. I like the guys that advertise only the ISO numbers as it thins the market of buyers

Does any body know what type of inserts would work good on home made wood turning tools?
    Since the replacements they sell for the commercial brand tools, are from $15.00 and up. And the tools any where from $65.00 up past $120.00 for a wood handle and a section of CRS to hold the insert.

I would like to make the holders/tools and use cheaper inserts. Wood turning sites aren't much help as they all say buy the replacement inserts from one of the companies that sell the tools and inserts. Seems they are sponsored advertising forums. And inquires about carbide turning tools are meet with buy one from the tool makers, and discussion about the specifics of the inserts is discouraged!

What I know is they are sharper than the ones for steel, no chip breaker, a fine grained material, and highly polished. I know they can be polished by green stone and diamond file/tools in a dremel.

My first attempt will be using carbide router bits, in a bit holding tool handle. Haven't found many places that sell the replacements inserts for carbide moulding makers heads etc.
    I have found one place but the site doesn't seem to be working correctly and appears to be volume seller. Deharts is its name.

The other one Carbide depot is looking to get into the selling of the tools and inserts but isn't posting any info at this time.

The charts along with the ones in the tool catalogs do clear up some of the questions, but not enough.

Would anybody have any ideas on whether the metal cutting ones or would the aluminum type work better on turning the hard surface materials (Coran) or stone dust epoxy type materials?
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

A well illustrated and not too detailed handbook on this subject would become a bestseller overnight. Guaranteed.

Default Carbide Inserts for Stump Grinder

Have anyone had any experience or know of anyone using some of this carbide inserts for a Stump Grinder?
    By that I mean some of the index-able carbide directly attached to the wheel that does the grinding.
    The ones I have seen in Home Depot seem to utilize the brazed type then inserted on the wheel and adjusted by set screws.
    You tube shows one PTO driven but no detail on the construction.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlA-NKNzmLc&feature=fvsr

I have that in mind for the next winter project. To be powered by the PTO of the Leyland tractor.

The "Engineers Black Book" is my favorite in shop source of tungsten carbide insert information for, identification, shapes, selection, application grades, comparison charts, etc.

This little black book has a wealth of information on the subject.

This photo shows just a few of the pages on the subject of carbide inserts.

The photo expands by hovering your mouse over the photo, and chooseing the photo size you wish to look at.

http://www.jerryclement.ca/Machines/...4717&k=gDSzhRZ
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-17-2012 at 11:05 AM.