Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syil Cnc Mill

Default Syil Cnc Mill

I want a cnc mill, I have been looking at many... Does anyone own one of these http://cnc-programing.blogspot.com/2...-cnc-mill.html ?

I cant find anything good or bad about them... Thanks!
    Feel free to put me on ignore....

When I looked at them a few years ago they never responded to my query.
    I ended up buying a Seig KX3. I understand they are similar mechanically.
    I CAN NOT recommended a KX3. People claim the KX1 is much better that the KX3
    I would suggest either getting a Manual mill that you can inspect and then convert. Or best suggestion is save up your money and buy a Tormach. They have a great reputation. I also would not buy another Chinese unless I had inspected it and went over it with a dial indicator and made sure it delivered what was promised.

Yes I am very pissed with Seig right now. PM me for more details.

Dave

What do you plan to do with it hobby or business? You need to be more specific as too what you plan to use it for Sherline makes a nice mini mill Haas Makes nice machines there is a mile of difference between their capabilities. I am not the expert but there are guys on here that can help just fill in a few more blanks and a budget.

Mike
    Last edited by gundog; 12-29-2011 at 05:57 PM.

I would look for a bigger machine if you can fit it. You will run out of room for anything but the smallest projects very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by gundog
    What do you plan to do with it hobby or business? You need to be more specific as too what you plan to use it for Sherline makes a nice mini mill Haas Makes nice machines there is a mile of difference between their capabilities. I am not the expert but their are guys on here that can help just fill in a few more blanks and a budget.

Mike
    Both, Im not going to cut parts all day long but it will see some use. I intend to make my money back with it!

I have had a tormach for four years and can say nothing but good things about it. My only problem as Macona said is you run out of room quickly. I also own a Haas TL-1 and hope to mate it soon with a TM-1P as a replacement for the Tormach.

The tormach has some of the best post sales service I have ever experienced. The company is constantly adding upgrades and accessories and by virtue of the modular design you are not locked into the machine purchased. Two years down the road you can upgrade to the latest and greatest.

My two cents... Whatever you buy try to take a test cut first and ask about service after the sale from someone who has owned the machine for two or three years. Most of the manufacturers or distributors keep lists of who has a machine in your area that you can speak with. Good Luck

+1000 on pressurerelief"s comments.
    Both his comments are bang on and that's why I cant recommend a Seig KX3.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DFMiller
    +1000 on pressurerelief"s comments.
    Both his comments are bang on and that's why I cant recommend a Seig KX3.
    Dave
    Im going with a Tormach, I appreciate your input guys! Im sure I will be back here needing all kinds of help! LOL

I have 2 Dyna-Mite 2400 mills. They are nice little, heavy, rigid little machines. But the operative word here is "little". Travel on these machines is 6.2 in X, 5.0 in Y and 4.0 in Z. Spindle speed is 250 to 10,000 RPM. Rapids are 30 (thirty) inches per minute.

They are very accurate machines and work well with cutters 1/4 inch and down.

I am an ex-owner of a Haas TM1 which was a wonderful machine. I also owned a FADAL 3016 at the same time. The FADAL was the better machine, but the Haas had the better control.

I had a major health issue in 2007 and was forced me to sell the shop and retire.

Now I have had a Tormach PCNC1100 in my garage since July of this year. Let me tell you, THIS is a great machine. It will do ANYTHING the Haas or FADAL would do, just not as fast. AND it didn't cost $75,000.00.

I have done surface machining with it. And I have cut threads. It has a maximum spindle speed of 5,100 RPM, and rapid rates are a little slow compared with equipment today, but when you're only moving 2 inches, you don't need to move 2,000 inches per minute.

I have a product line for my Tormach. I make parts for gasoline powered remote control model boats. I will do runs of 100 pieces at a time. OK, the machine is a little on the slow side, but I'm supposed to be retired, so what do I have besides time

I love my Tormach and I have room in the garage for another one, but I am going to wait to see the lathe they are working on before I make the move.

A Haas TL1 might be a good choice too.

The way I got my Tormach was fun. I refuse to wear long pants or a tie. One day last June my wife came to me and told me that if I would wear a suit to her niece's wedding, she would find the money for me to get the Tormach. I stood up and said, "let's go buy a suit". The Tormach arrived July 13, 2011.

Now that I have the suit, I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it. I certainly don't want to be buried in it.

I haven't run the Dyna-Mites since the Tormach got here.
    Last edited by Steve Seebold; 01-02-2012 at 03:16 AM.

Default Mine was a nice machine

For just over a year I had my hands on a KX3 from Little Machine Shop. I had to do some playing to get Mach3 setup like I wanted and the Sieg Forum was less than helpful...

I liked the machine and the one I had my hands on was a very nice machine. All fits and finish were very good and when I got the homing configured (using all stock switches) it was closer than I could measure with a dial indicator.

The KX1 is just too small in my opinion. KX3 is about twice as big.