Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for A Small TIG Welder for Aluminium

Default Recommendations for A Small TIG Welder for Aluminium

I have reached the point where I can no longer avoid the purchase of a TIG welder. I work in aluminium making wind chimes and so far have been able to get by without welding but I have a new design which will require welding to make it work. The aluminium I will be welding is thin aluminium sheet, about 1/8" thick and round rod, 1/2" diameter maximum. There are no long beads required, just small tack welds to keep parts from moving.

I don't need a multi-function welding machine as I don't see myself doing any welding on heavy steel items and I'm over 70 years old so I don't know how much longer I will physicaly I will be able to get out to my shop to work.

I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations for a welder which will fit my needs. Even a small welder which someone has "out-grown" would be considered. Thanks.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Check out the miller Diversion.

Quote Originally Posted by macona
    Check out the miller Diversion.
    I'd skip over that and look for a used syncrowave 180 or 200.

I had a SyncroWave 180.........didn't have a 60amp circuit in the garage for it. Couldn't weld aluminum if my life depended on it. Big, heavy old technology.

Sold it and bought a Diversion............I now weld aluminum like a pro.

The Diversion is a perfect TIG machine for home or small shop.

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto
    I had a SyncroWave 180.........didn't have a 60amp circuit in the garage for it. Couldn't weld aluminum if my life depended on it. Big, heavy solid, dependable old technology.
    Sold it and bought a Diversion............I now weld aluminum like a pro.
    The Diversion is a perfect TIG machine for home or small shop.
    I'd suggest you get your wiring checked out. I'm running my entire garage off a 50amp breaker. That includes my Syncrowave 200.

To be straight to the point....I think the Diversion is way over priced for what you get. All my welders are Millers, and my future ones will be too. So this isn't a brand issue I have against them.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Any opinions on the Thermadyne /Thermalarc stuff?

Their offices are local here, and they have some VERY portable inverter welders. Likely chinese inside, same as all the others, but.......

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm
    I'd suggest you get your wiring checked out. I'm running my entire garage off a 50amp breaker. That includes my Syncrowave 200.

To be straight to the point....I think the Diversion is way over priced for what you get. All my welders are Millers, and my future ones will be too. So this isn't a brand issue I have against them.

I agree, the old machines may be big and heavy but they still do a perfect job day in and day out, reliable as an anvil. I am not brand specific, I have both lincoln and miller products and like both.

That said, I love my 175 box!

yeah it does aluminum.

If I were the OP I would get whatever blue or red machine was close to me, cheap enough, and still worked.
    Andy

I bought a used Miller Dynasty 200. Wonderful machine, and I assume I can sell it for what I bought it for.
    Nice welds Andy, very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers
    Any opinions on the Thermadyne /Thermalarc stuff?

Their offices are local here, and they have some VERY portable inverter welders. Likely chinese inside, same as all the others, but.......
    I have a ThermalArc 300GTSW. They are made by SanRex in Japan. It is a good machine, for the most part. I can't remember how many IGBTs I have replaced in them. The second problem is SanRex does not seal their circuit boards and the boards tend to be the typical Japanese cheap phenolic instead of FR4. It makes repair more difficult and metal dust can get into the machine and cause the machine to act funny.

The newer ones seemed to have remedied their IGBT eating attributes but the boards are still not sealed. Also the machines are packed so tight they can be difficult to work on and I had to replace a HF coupling coil on one because it was so close to the frame of the machine just a bump shorted it out.

I think they did make a filter kit for the machines. The problems with filters is someone has to change them.

i think the diversion is a great price for what you get. An inverter is so much easier to tig aluminum with than a transformer machine.

The OP did say he wanted a "small" machine. An inverter would be a small easy to move around machine and is fully capable. Just a little more money.

Anything between a 150 and 200 would work just great for what you want to do.
    Andy