Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo: Attractive Lathe Operator

Post Photo: Attractive Lathe Operator

Nice lathe!

Thumbs up

Just think of all the work that you could get done in the shop with a Gal like that.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

When we started hiring women apprentices one of them was a ravising beauty. Cambodian/Danish, small, slim, fascinating dark eyes and har, Hollywood figure, athletic as hell, and wonder of wonders in an apprentice: smart, mechanically minded, and intellectually agressive. I never had to teach her anything twice.

Offical visitors would enter the shop and see Anne running a 48" lathe or once lugging a big U clamp as long as she was tall and about 2/3 her weight. Their jaws would drop and one of them would hasten to help the little lady in bib overalls with the nasty old clamp. "No thanks" and she'd kill him by batting her eyelashes then keep on trudging to the Morton floor mill where we were working cutting a cross key slot in a rudder stock or something.

I had her for an apprentice for three months. She was one of the best in my ranking for her willingness and ability. She wasn't a distraction, not because she was so pretty but because she never used it to her advantage. She was sisterly, or since I was so much older, niece-like. We used to cruise the meat markets together.

She's a planner and estimator now and I think she's in line for a supervisory job. She has no lack of ability to get people to work for her her and so far as I know she's never used her sex or beauty to gain an advantage.

Uh Forrest, you want to explain "cruise the meat markets"?
    Or may be not. Might start some other OT discussions.
    On the topic of using ability rather than physical attributes; this morning's paper had a write up on the latest winner of SI Swimsuit Issue search.
    She has the "perfect combination of beauty, athleticism and personality for the Swimsuit issue. Michelle embodies what the issue has always been about."
    She is way ahead of Janet Jackson in certain areas too, if you get my drift here. I am sure that had nothing to do with her selection however.
    Jim H.

Wonder why the cross slide is set at that angle. Btw, I have used my sex and beauty shamelessly in the past, shirt open to the navel, boots, grease, machinery, women just can’t resist it.

Carl, Do you have a better photo of the lathe ?

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

If you look at the armstrong holder I'd say she's doing an angled facing cut. Placing a slight cone on the end.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Forrest Addy:
    When we started hiring women apprentices one of them was a ravising beauty. Cambodian/Danish, small, slim, fascinating dark eyes and har, Hollywood figure, athletic as hell, and wonder of wonders in an apprentice: smart, mechanically minded, and intellectually agressive...She wasn't a distraction, not because she was so pretty but because she never used it to her advantage...She has no lack of ability to get people to work for her her and so far as I know she's never used her sex or beauty to gain an advantage. </font>
    For men, female beauty contains the promise of happiness. The male brain releases endorphins at the sight of a beautiful woman. We're hard-wired and helpless. So yes, she did "use" her beauty to gain an advantage. That's the way it works. For the same reason rich men who command resources make women go weak in the knees. Beautiful women and powerful men have huge advantages in the game of life. Ugly women and weak men are treated so badly that independent observers describe it as almost criminal when they watch unrehersed and uninhibited social interactions.

Well, Nait, maybe I shoulda said "deliberately or overtly used..."