Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Ford Throttle cable

Default 1984 Ford Throttle cable

I been having a Heck of a Time trying to find a Throttle cable for my 1984 Ford F250 460 4 barrel powered Ford Pickup. I called the Wrecking Yards up here (Ontario Canada) and no such luck anywhere. occasionally it (the throttle ) will stick wide open,. It finally frayed on the inside and occasionally sticks which makes driving on the Winter Roads Interesting for sure. Does anyone have any Leads or perhaps even a cable laying around? The ones from the 351 Windsor 4 barrel are the samer also. I am amazed this old Truck just Keeps on running? Must of been built before all the Ford Assemlbly Line workers got on the Heroin?? Thanx Mike

you should beable to get that at any autoparts . or try online Most of the mustang sites also cator to ford trucks.

www.rockauto.com lists 2 choices for $19 and $22. A wrecking yard is gonna be more expensive IF you can get them to get off their ass to go out in the yard to get one. I know I wouldn't go out in the Canada winter to take off a throttle cable for anything less than $25, maybe more, depends on how much snow I had to trudge through.

Rockauto while a viable choice south of the border, ships up here almost exclusively with FedEx or UPS. Not very cost effective up here.
    For example the $19 cable ends up at $54 by the time it gets here. I have used them in the past and they do have a huge slection, but most times shipping is a deal killer.

Any decent local auto parts store will stock either the ATP or a Doorman replacement part for roughly the same price as Rockauto, without the huge shipping fees.
    It's not a rare item, several non-OEM suppliers are stocking this item if you don't want a Ford Motorcraft part, so finding one should not be an issue. I'm sure that even Canadian tire should be able to source one for you.

Ask for either ATP part# Y284 or Doorman part #04190. I got those numbers from the Rockauto website so varify the application with your parts guy.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

Not sure where you are located but here in London Corey's auto wrecker's still allow you to wonder around the yard and pull your own part. They even give you a discount for doing the work. I used them to find a new washer bottle for my 66 Comet. As soon as it warms I will be going back.

DougA,, Wow--- Corey's auto wreckers haven't been there in 40 years!!

At one time i shopped there and at "Gord Chants" auto wreckers!!

"John Zubick" scrap metal used to have some neat pieces of brass, aluminum etc,. Geez,, a LONG time ago!!

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    Rockauto while a viable choice south of the border, ships up here almost exclusively with FedEx or UPS. Not very cost effective up here.
    For example the $19 cable ends up at $54 by the time it gets here. I have used them in the past and they do have a huge slection, but most times shipping is a deal killer.

I was primarily trying to point out that teh throttle cable was a common
    parts store item that coudl be had without even bothering with salvage yards.

I've never been a big fan of salvage yards, most of the vehicles are there for a reason, usually because they've out lived their usefullness. As vehicles go, if one of them is worn out enough to be in the salvage yard, you can pretty much count on most of the parts beiing as bad or worse than the ones you already have.

Yes, I know shipping to Canada can be a bitch..........

You might try an old time hardware store if one is nearby. I had several made by one when I still lived on the farm.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

You could just make one- I'm assuming that it's a cable within a sheath, probably just rolled wire. Plumbing snakes are often just like that. I've used that a couple of times now by feeding a steel cable through it, then adding on some usable connectors. The sheath could be covered with plastic tubing of some kind, even vinyl tubing, just to keep water out and lube in.

For less than 25 bucks out the door I don't think it's worthwhile going to the trouble of making up such a safety sensitive item such as a throttle cable like this.
    The corner hardware or home shop attempts just usually aren't equipped with the proper materials and parts to make a 100% all weather reliable control cable.
    The control cable relies on the self lubricating qualities of it's housing material not oil which can become sticky or attract contaminants.
    The return mechanism is a redundant spring that works in conjunction with another spring for fail safe throttle return.

Her's what Mike's cable should look like. Not usually a home project. Kind of like making your own wiper blades.

Lawn mower or even strictly off road machine maybe, but out in the crazy hinterland known as the public highway, why bother when a $25 part will probably out last the truck.
    Last edited by Willy; 01-10-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.