Thread: Kindof OT- Scrap Value?

Default Kindof OT- Scrap Value?

I have an old Marquet A/C welder, one where you change amps by plugging in the cable in different sockets. This thing is HEAVY! Even though it does work somewhat, it's too big, too heavy and I would like to replace it with a small MIG.

Since I doubt it has any resale value, how much of this thing can be salvaged for scrap? I wouldn't be apposed to tearing it apart for the copper, I assume the weight is from the copper?

I scrapped a Westinghouse buzzbox welder a while back. I got about 90 pounds of copper out of it between the leads and the copper coil inside, and about 300 pounds of scrap steel. It turned out to be worth a whole lot more as scrap than as a welder in need of some work.

I'd scrap it and put the funds towards the MIG you want.

While some of the weight is from the copper, most of the weight is from the steel plates of the transformer. To get the most out of scrapping it, you will have to dismantle and separate the copper from the steel. Otherwise the scrap yard will give a price per pound that they have for motors and transformers.

I think that rates as #1 or #2 insulated copper scrap, only about $1.00-1.50 a pound. Not worth it. Sell it for $50, a fast sale.

It should not go for insulated. If they do take it somewhere else.

Enamled wire isn't considered insulated by scrappers?

The welder I scrapped had 1/4" square copper in the transformer. My scrapyard gave me straight copper price, even with the varnish on it. At the time it brought $3.20 a pound.

Thanks, I think I'll scrap it. If it were a decent welder, I would try to sell it. But it doesn't weld for beans. And I did mention it's HEAVY. The cable jackets are cracked, it just isn't worth it. I got it free years ago, it was going to the scrap yard, but I took it home. I've used it, but it's frustrating to use.

based on condition, scrapping seems a good choice...but imo a good buzz box and small mig are for two different things. I've a 225 lincoln and a 175 mig (i think thats what it is, small 240v machine): for heavy stuff I use the stick welder, light the mig